Gear Shift Broke Off in Hands!!! | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Gear Shift Broke Off in Hands!!!

Ok so thanks for all the help guys! We were successfully able to locate the lever to manually shift the car. My husband was able to shift the car into gear & it seemes to be working fine, but once he put it into park, & tried to put it back into gear, it wouldn't move. Seems like the cable became really tight & couldn't move. Any suggestions???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

don't forget to push the brake to release the shifter so it goes into park and drive Look in your owner manual for details

your opinion please

ill like to know what you folks out there think of these
my idea is to reach many more customers that at the moment..
the best would be to sell these part trough retail company like
Pepboys o Kragen..
any idea how i should do to make them interested?
or maybe.. SHOULD i do these? maybe they will steal my idea..

maybe someone out there have the right connection..?
of course ill pay good money if someone can help me get into the big market..

thanks
Robert

I don't know...I'd definitely think twice about it since "parts/retail companies" are, like the manufacturers, looking to make as much profit as they possibly can. That's "corporate" business! I think it's a gamble because you took an idea that MANY of these Ford/Mercury owners could only wish for when their vehicles "broke" & made it possible to get your car repaired for a FRACTION of the cost it would take to replace the whole steering column. I honestly think that maybe if you could find a little "mom & pop" type of business that would sell it for you, that would be the way to go!

ill be very happy and gratefull if someone could help me getting in touch with a reseller in the USA or Canada.
of course ill gladely pay for the help..
since i live in Sweden its very hard to find one from here..

Hi all
just wanted to tell that i have been out of kits the last month or so..
but a new batch is on its way...
so if any is interested drop me an email at
robert66@tyfonmail.se
does cuties are going fast..!!

Just an FYI for everyone. My neighbor had the same issue with her 2003 Explorer. The shifter fell off in her hand last night on her way to work. Dorman now has this part available, I ordered one from Rock Auto, part number 905-104. I'll be installing it this weekend. The part costs about $32.00, alot cheaper than buying a column from the dealer.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php

Possible upgrade suggestiong for part

I just fixed mine yesterday by taking apart an old column to get the part. The biggest problem was the pressed on washer. I think that instead of or in addition to the pressed on washer there should be a slot for a snap ring. The snap ring would eliminate any concern about the washer coming off.

Shadey, I am wondering if the new part is made out of the same junk as the one that broke? That might explain the lower cost of the part. Does not have the same shine as the one SwedenBob has for sale. Just wondering.

at least it is a option to get it rather then a whole new column if yours breaks!.

I have no experience with this problem and HOPE I never do. !

Sweden bobs looks like the best one out of the two.

Shadey, I am wondering if the new part is made out of the same junk as the one that broke? That might explain the lower cost of the part. Does not have the same shine as the one SwedenBob has for sale. Just wondering.

I just installed this part yesterday. It works well, it looks a little beefier around the ears where the shifter lever attaches. It also has a c-clip design to attach the ball studded lever on the end.

shadytreetek, understand a little beefier at the ears, most of the breakage is at the shaft. With the c-clip, it means that you don't need to remove the steering wheel, right? Would be nice if we could see pics of this, better ones than dorman provides. Could you shoot some for us?

shadytreetek, understand a little beefier at the ears, most of the breakage is at the shaft. With the c-clip, it means that you don't need to remove the steering wheel, right? Would be nice if we could see pics of this, better ones than dorman provides. Could you shoot some for us?

I did have to remove the steering wheel to replace the shift lever bracket.

Hey everyone, I just got off the phone with Dorman & the lady I spoke to said that the part is an "Original" part from the manufacturer so it's made of the same material. I wish someone would be able to cast it out if steel or some more solid metal. SwedenBob has been very easy & pleasurable to do business with. He could probably cast it out of something else, but probably for a little costlier price. I'm now wary of purchasing an "original" part, as it was the "original" part that failed to begin with.

lehua1011, just got a message from SweedenBob, says that his unit is made out of solid alum, and is stronger that the original junk. If you still need a replacement part, you might get the cheep part, and use it until you get one from SweedenBob. I got one from Bob, and it is truly a strong unit. Would have been an easy repair if it had a snap ring to hold the ball lever on. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Hi Explorer Pete! I actually ordered 2 kits from SwedenBob. My dad & husband failed to read instructions on how to install the first on & used too much force with a C-Clamp & broke it! Thankfully, I contacted SwedenBob that night & he sent out another part within 2 days. I guess getting the "cheap" part would be ideal for a quick fix but I think the amount I'd pay to ship it to Hawaii wouldn't be worth it. I'd much rather order from Bob & wait the 10 days or so it takes to get here from Sweden. I guess it's just a little more comforting to know that there is an option of getting it in the US even if it is a manufacturer's part....???

hi lehua1011, sorry to hear about the broken part. Wonder if looking into using a snap ring clip instead of the c-clamp. If you can find the ring to fit, using a dremel to cut a grove , it might be easyer to instal, not to mention , a little less stres on the part, your dad , husband and you. Good luck

Hey everyone, I just got off the phone with Dorman & the lady I spoke to said that the part is an "Original" part from the manufacturer so it's made of the same material. I wish someone would be able to cast it out if steel or some more solid metal. SwedenBob has been very easy & pleasurable to do business with. He could probably cast it out of something else, but probably for a little costlier price. I'm now wary of purchasing an "original" part, as it was the "original" part that failed to begin with.

This concerns me so I went one step farther. I called Dorman and asked to speak with the tech / engineering department. I explained to them my concern about the failure this part and the material it is made of. The tech did not have an immediate answer and stated he would get back to me. I received a call back about an hour later and the tech stated that their shift lever bracket is made of a more robust material and will not have any issues with breakage like the original part. The tech even stated that the part carries a lifetime warranty from Dorman.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Dorman part fit

Just an FYI. I just received and installed the Dorman part. I have a 2002 XLS. I could not get the snap ring on and after removing the part and comparing it to the (Broken) original I saw a small difference. The Dorman part had a ridge at the "Ears" end that the original did not and it kept the part from extending far enough to get the snap ring on. I took a file to this "Shoulder" in in a few minutes was able to reassemble and install the snap ring. Also want to mention I was able to install this part without removing the steering wheel. It took some wiggling and a bit of flex in the plastic around the wheel, but it did pop in. I've gotten a lot of good info here, hope this tip helps someone else

Back