Tbars4

Moderator Emeritus
Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
City, State
anaheim hills,california
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 ranger 4x4/ 91 X 4x4
...These are some of the mod's I have done, or am doing in the near future to my stock 95 2.3L Ranger in the Smog Restriction State of California...

...These mod's have kept my truck legal while getting the most out of my 2.3L for relatively cheap...I am not saying this is what you should/could do, this is what I have done.....This is not been dyno'd or anything...If you have some tips or tricks to share, please post them up..
___________________________________________________________________________________

Tuneup and Maintenance...

Goes without saying...A well tuned up vehicle with proper maintenance will out perform every time..We all get behind in this but this is crucial if you are trying to get more mpg or hp out of these little motor's...

Before starting on mod's to your vehicle, I can not express how important it is to do a full tune up and maintenance on your vehicle, then start from there..This also includes all fluids, belts, hoses, filters, proper air in tires, etc.

Timing Belt...

Probably the best maintenance/performance/economy mod's I have done with the most noticeable gain..These last about 60,000 miles and need replaced...When I replaced mine I noticed increased horsepower and about 70 miles per tank difference on long highway drives...

Free flowing cat-back exhaust...

This is keeping everything legal on the vehicle but improving it only to get gains from what's existing or can be tweaked...This is what I did with my exhaust with results...
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185154

Coil packs...

When was the last time these were changed on your Ranger...These take 2 coil packs and they do serve different purposes..If you can not remember when they were ever changed or they are original, it may be time to swap a new pair in..

Electric Fan...

I have not done this mod yet but will in the future...You hear all the time from the V6/V8 crowd how much power is being robbed by the stock fan...This is highly noticeable on these I4's..

Intake Air...

I have kept mine pretty much stock on this truck with the exception of the K&N washable/reusable drop in filter...

..Stock filter about $16..

..K&N drop in about $50..

...Intake air Resonator...

This is mainly an intake air muffler to quiet engine noise...This also has a big intake pipe restriction in it and I've swapped mine because I usually have this truck loaded when climbing hills and I need all the help I can get...:D

Instead of buying a CAI with pipe and all, this was a good solution for under $2 and I don't have to do any modifications for the vent tube or sensors located before or after the resonator...

..."That's it officer, that's the culprit..."
resonator_001.jpg

..The replacement pipe I used is 2-1/2" with 2-7/8" o.d...I had the choice of using 2-1/2" electrical grey pvc pipe found at HD for $8 plus a 10' stick or, I found this 2-1/2" well sleeve pipe at Ace Hardware for $1.59 a ft...The magic number I needed was 8 1/2" long and I had them cut it to size for me...This is a comparison of the two side by side...Inlet side...
resonator_003.jpg

...Tail side to motor...Notice the perforated holes...This side is about 2 1/2" I.D.
resonator_004.jpg

...Almost 2 1/2" I.D...
resonator_005.jpg

...This is the inlet side of the resonator...1 1/2" I.D.
resonator_006.jpg

...Sanded the outside and ends, chamfer'd the inner and outer edges, and a little paint...
resonator_007.jpg

...Threw it in and with a few trail runs, it will look as dirty as the rest of under my hood..
resonator_008.jpg

...On to the other end of the intake....On my Ranger from the filter box, the intake does not go to the front of the vehicle...The stock part and placement of this is a small tube aimed to the rear of the truck, sandwiched between the fender and inner fender..
resonator_012.jpg

...I removed the one push button pin on the top and then pulled straight up on the filter housing...This is how it sat in the truck...
resonator_013.jpg

...And this is the bottom side of it...
resonator_014.jpg

...This intake tube is actually all rubber...The actual opening on the end only measured slightly over 1-1/4"...
resonator_015.jpg

...So I removed it to see what was the opening size to the filter...I measured about 2-1/4" so, I left the small tube off and will run it this way to see how it works out...
resonator_016.jpg

_________________________________________________________________________________

...No parts were harmed in the removal and all parts are being kept in possible re-installation shape..:D

..Latest update to this intake set up..:confused:

..I went on a long desert trip and needed to add a second battery...The best spot to add this was where the stock air box was...I pulled the stock air box out, mounted the battery and threw in a $20 pre-oiled Spectre filter on the end of the tube I had previously made...:hammer:

...There were no ill effects and it ran and still runs better than ever...The tube will get shortened a bit and I did get to test the $20 filter out in the desert trip for about 1000 miles...For the money, it worked out well...:biggthump

DV_Mojave_11_197.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The advantages of removing the resonator is questionable because the resonator has a "resonance frequency" within itself, and the intake tube it sits on. If I have the time, I'll try to look for the document but someone did a computational fluid dynamics (CFD) study of how a simple resonator affects intake pressure and resonance.

...I've heard of that and I have read other info...Looking forward to reading it too...:biggthump

...This motor starves for air and I have read several articles on the 2.3L...This is the reason everything else on this intake has stayed stock with the exception of the K&N drop in...

...On my Ranger from the filter box, the intake does not go to the front of the vehicle...The stock part and placement of this is a small tube aimed to the rear of the truck, sandwiched between the fender and inner fender..

...I like this stock set up on my Ranger as it does keep more dust/debris/water out (I believe)..

...I couldn't leave well enough alone...:hammer:

...A little update on this...:hammer:

...This is not scientific nor have I dyno'd to get these results...This is just from knowing how my 190,000 mile Ranger moves with and without carrying loads...These results are from daily driving with the Ranger bed carrying about 3/4 or more of it's daily load at all times under my everyday routine..

..With only the resonator removed:

...I got better pedal response and picked up resonating sound from the newly made tube about 5/8 of a pedal and up in each gear...I did notice that I was now able to move up a gear and gain the lower rpm's since I did gain some horsepower while not losing any mpg's.

...With also having the stock little snorkel off..

...I lost almost all of the new tube resonating sound and the engine and muffler sound a little louder...I did gain more horsepower and mpg's by additionally removing this snorkel restriction...I have caught myself a couple of times wishing I currently had another gear to move up to...

..My rpm's have changed and with the new hp I have found I do have another gear to move up to and I can stay in that gear...like being in fifth gear and being able to not have to downshift at places I know I've had to downshift before..I also have a lot better pedal response at the beginning of each gear and have found myself backing off or holding the pedal at about 3/4 where before it was just mash it to the floor all the time...

...I am happy with the results so far and it's made a very positive improvement in how my Ranger performs...It's still just a 4 cylinder truck so don't expect these mod's to have the power results of a V8...:D

...Updated the first post with the latest intake configuration..:D

OK..... years later......

I'm looking to try this mod out....
Did you get more mpg's? more power? (or the double-whammy) BOTH?
What pitfalls did you meet with? Airfilter wet/soggy? needed early replacement?

Thanks for your time & efforts....

...Of the several mods in the first post I believe you are talking about only doi g the air filter/intake mod and I think post #5 can answer most of your question..

..I have kept all those mods as I am happy with the results...

..The Ranger is still my DD and long trip vehicle but I've included other mods like 4:88 gears and 33" tires... The mods on this page helped me progress.

Thanks - I'm on it ! ;)

I took the inner tube out of the resonator and removed the rubber elbow and there's less bog starting from a dead stop, and acceleration has gotten a little snappier. I'm also able to hold out at 70mph up a hill in 5th that I previously had to downshift to 4th on. Next mod: 19lb injectors and a k&n drop in filter

...Bump..:)

Tbar,

What did you do with the electrical plug that went into the original box where the air filter was?

So, when you took that box and snorkel out and put the cone air filter, where did you put that electrical plug?

Thanks for your time and this thread.

5EB08675-4B08-44DA-93A7-B179EDBAD1CD.jpeg

Tbars is no longer with us. Hopefully someone else can answer the question for you.

Tbars is no longer with us. Hopefully someone else can answer the question for you.

Oh no, I’m sorry. I’m doing his mod and been talking about him all day to my wife and reading his threads. He is so upbeat, informative and you can tell a solid enthusiast.

Back