Solved - Ford Explorer 5 speed conversion - Going Full Manual | Page 11 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved Ford Explorer 5 speed conversion - Going Full Manual

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

S6300042.jpg

That is just above the parking brake. A tought just popped into my head though! On most all auto trans cars and trucks, the signal wire for the starter is wired directly through the nuetral safety switch (also comonly part of the manual lever position sensor). you may have to jumper the wires that used to go to the nuetral safety switch

Ok, there is the set of mystery wires on the trans. I am wanting to think they need to be run up to the invisible CPP.

After discussing this in chat with others, I am going to hook back up the stock harness to the round 8 pin connector on the engine harness. Then the other end of it has the oval 8 pin trans connector. This has 2 pins on it for the starter control.
A jumper on those pins might work, might not.

2520504220089462589S600x600Q85.jpg

This is the CPP pin out:
2391544930089462589S600x600Q85.jpg

Ok, there is the set of mystery wires on the trans. I am wanting to think they need to be run up to the invisible CPP.

After discussing this in chat with others, I am going to hook back up the stock harness to the round 8 pin connector on the engine harness. Then the other end of it has the oval 8 pin trans connector. This has 2 pins on it for the starter control.
A jumper on those pins might work, might not.

2520504220089462589S600x600Q85.jpg

This is the CPP pin out:
2391544930089462589S600x600Q85.jpg

im thinking you need to leave the factory cpp jumper plugged in and jumper pins 1 and 4 on the auto trans connector, but i need to see a diagram for the starter and relay for the auto trans to be sure

i found a wiring diagram, and it confirmed to jumper pins 1 and 4. if that fixes your no crank, i recomend tracing the wires back to the engine harness and splicing them there

2491189030089462589S600x600Q85.jpg

On your 8 pin oval connector you need to jump pins 1 and 4 for start circuit continuity.

Also, to narrow your search, the CPP on an automatic should be behind the instrument panel left of steering column.

Alright, cool. Thanks Show!

I will take yet another look under the dash. If I find it, I will hook it up. I would have to go and buy a CPP for it, but thats ok.

If not, I will jump the pins after tracing them back to the engine harness connector.

Thanks everybody for all your help! You guys ROCK!

Alright, cool. Thanks Show!

I will take yet another look under the dash. If I find it, I will hook it up. I would have to go and buy a CPP for it, but thats ok.

If not, I will jump the pins after tracing them back to the engine harness connector.

Thanks everybody for all your help! You guys ROCK!

you will still have to jump the pins from what i can see in the diagram that i have in pdf format

So have to do both? Jump the pins on the trans harness, and hook up the CPP?

I am confusing myself here:rolleyes::banghead:

yea, on an auto trans, the wire goes through the ccp first, then the trans harness. that way the can still run the other wires in the cpp connector without having to run a different harness.

You can just leave the cpp jumper in right now if you arent worried about it being able to start in gear.

Thats a huge PDF!..lol good stuff though :)

Been thinking a bit ( I know, scary), the shifter cable is removed, leaving the shifter loose. When moved from park, it "Falls" to the lower gear placement. It does not have that spring resistance in it without the cable hooked up anymore. Would the lock actuator not be engaging because of this?

no, the stuff inside the column is still intact. the problem is the signal circuit to the starter is being interupted because the nuetral switch is missing.

Yeah, I figured so. I was just thinking in internet silence :)

Edit: After reading that PFD file, on page 59 it states:

Manual CPP location is on the clutch pedal

Auto trans without console has the CPP taped ot the harness behind instrument panel

Auto trans with a console.................has no CPP

WTF? I have a console!!!!!

I cant take anymore tonight, I'm going to slip into a nice coma till the morning.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i think the console being referred to in the diagram is the overhead console. my 97 has a center console, but no overhead console. it has the ccp jumper, its above the parking brake, atached to a bulkhead style connector. if you just want it to start, and arent worried about having a clutch safety device then you can just jumper the wires that used to go to the range sensor.

Back