Solved - Ford Explorer 5 speed conversion - Going Full Manual | Page 12 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved Ford Explorer 5 speed conversion - Going Full Manual

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.
I really dont care if there is a CPP hooked up or not. I do want reverse lights that work the way they are supposed to if possible. One of the reasons I got the manual trans harness for this.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I really dont care if there is a CPP hooked up or not. I do want reverse lights that work the way they are supposed to if possible. One of the reasons I got the manual trans harness for this.

those should work through the manual trans harness, if not we can cross that bridge another day

Can I jump the pins at the engine harness connector (leaving the auto trans harness off) with push type wire connectors? Splicing into the harness bundle is a task that just freaks me out, to say the least. :rolleyes:

I know either way I have to jump wires on the harness. If the CPP is there I will hook it up I guess.

Had an idea today. I went and dug up the manual trans harness that came with the new trans. Found the round gray connector on it and removed the tape and plastic conduit behind it to look at the wires. This connector was only using 6 pins, not 8 like the auto.
manharness6pins.jpg

I found that pin 1 & 4 were already jumped from the factory.

backofmanharness6pin.jpg

So I removed the red plastic piece with some dental pics, removed the other 4 pins, leaving me just the jumper in the connector.

removed4pins.jpg

manjumperconnecter.jpg

The other wires are:
White/pink
White/red
Black/pink
Purple/orange

4pinsleftonharness.jpg

The purple/orange & black/pink can be jumped for the reverse lights.

The white/red can be used for a electric t-case. Ground this wire for neutral position to fool the auto ecm, so the shift motor will work. (per rwenzing)

Ok, I plugged my new jumper connector up to the engine harness. I have crank now.

BUT, I have a no start issue. This might be the CPP not jumped or connected.

Half way there though, and I am determined to get this thing running again soon. I will swap the ECM's and try it again just to eliminate it being the reason.

do you have a code reader or scanner, there may be a code set to help start you in diagnosing the problem

Sorry I meant the TR not the CPP. Thats been on my brain for the last couple days now.

I do have a code reader for it, but since the engine has not been ran yet, and there is no code showing, I didn't think to try that. I have something stopping it from firing up. My first guess is the ECM not working. I will have a go at it in the morning.

Swapped in the auto ECM. Fired right up.

I am very disappointed that the Manual ECM ($80) does not work. I have no reverse lights now. I need to figure that out with the wires coming off the engine harness and the trans sensor.

Overdrive light is blinking now. I am going to have to pull the bulb out of the cluster as that will drive me insane. Being that the ECM is putting the trans system into limp mode, does that do anything to the engine performance?

Was able to get the trans in gear, but the slave needs bled as the clutch has to be to the floor completely for it to allow it to drop in any gear.

I also do not think I can use my full size console with a 3" body lift either. It is hard to get into 2nd, 4th, reverse with the console getting in the way. :( This means I have to eliminate the Redline Italian shifter boot ($60), Find a new home for all my ashtray switches (eliminating my cool ass James Bond switch Mod). If I could get the full size console to slide back another 1" or 2" it would work. I have to look into that still. Unless someone knows a way to bend the shifter up a few degrees, or another ford shifter that does not have as much of an angle to it.

I read that ford programed some ECMs to also restrict engine power when in limp mode to help prevent additional trans damage. Have no idea how you find out which ones. Guess you have to try it and see how it feels.
I forget did you also use the engine harness from the manual or just the trans harness?

I read that ford programed some ECMs to also restrict engine power when in limp mode to help prevent additional trans damage. Have no idea how you find out which ones. Guess you have to try it and see how it feels.
I forget did you also use the engine harness from the manual or just the trans harness?

Just the man trans harness. I am most likely going to have to either find a man engine harness or go through the harness bundle at the firewall and see whats different between the two ECM's. I am deathly afraid of all things electrical on vehicles, and this is really maxing out my stress limiter.

If the Limp mode is going to be a problem with engine performance. I believe I need the manual ECM to work with this. There is something blocking it from firing, that is what I need to figure out now.

That one 95 I pulled the trans out of is still at the junkyard up here. I could possibly pull the harness and computer out for you if you would be interested. Let me know.

That one 95 I pulled the trans out of is still at the junkyard up here. I could possibly pull the harness and computer out for you if you would be interested. Let me know.

Damn straight I am interested! Can you call and get a price? I just asked kbabiak for a price in his thread for one. Wish I had seen this post first..lol

Thank you so very much for offering :salute:

Swapped in the auto ECM. Fired right up.

I am very disappointed that the Manual ECM ($80) does not work. I have no reverse lights now. I need to figure that out with the wires coming off the engine harness and the trans sensor.

Overdrive light is blinking now. I am going to have to pull the bulb out of the cluster as that will drive me insane. Being that the ECM is putting the trans system into limp mode, does that do anything to the engine performance?

Was able to get the trans in gear, but the slave needs bled as the clutch has to be to the floor completely for it to allow it to drop in any gear.

I also do not think I can use my full size console with a 3" body lift either. It is hard to get into 2nd, 4th, reverse with the console getting in the way. :( This means I have to eliminate the Redline Italian shifter boot ($60), Find a new home for all my ashtray switches (eliminating my cool ass James Bond switch Mod). If I could get the full size console to slide back another 1" or 2" it would work. I have to look into that still. Unless someone knows a way to bend the shifter up a few degrees, or another ford shifter that does not have as much of an angle to it.

could you just modify the ****er a little to angle it away from the console, or will that put it too close to the dash in 1, 3, and 5? if it will work, i would pull it off and heat it and bend it. i also was impressed with foxaracin's custom fix with his body lift. he has a couple of good pics in his thread.

Did you order the shifter extension that's made for the BL?

could you just modify the ****er a little to angle it away from the console, or will that put it too close to the dash in 1, 3, and 5? if it will work, i would pull it off and heat it and bend it. i also was impressed with foxaracin's custom fix with his body lift. he has a couple of good pics in his thread.
I started removing my console too see if it could be modified to move back a couple of inches. What a PITA! There would be a gap at the dash & console from doing this. I was thinking of adding a rubber insulation like from a door to take up the gap, and adding longer bolts to the front. But that is proving to be more work than I thought it would be after tearing into it.

The shifter is hard plastic/rubber(?) on the entire thing. I dont see how I could heat it and not ruin it
Did you order the shifter extension that's made for the BL?

I didnt even know they had one :rolleyes:

I will look now. Thanks for the tip! :thumbsup:

Found the 3" extension on my4by.com. It will be here in a few days. Awesome!

Looks like i can put the console back together..lol, what a wast of time spent there. Good thing is I can keep all my cool (to me) console mods! Woot!

Good news! That should fix your shifting problems :)

from what i see the only major difference with the m5od is in the programming. the manual ecm may have just been bad

I have no idea what happened to the above picture of the pin out on the ECM. It has changed to a timing instruction procedure. ????

Link either went bad or because it was so large a pic it was changed out by a Mod....???

Either way, Foxracin has been so kind to go pull another ECM and engine harness for me. :thumbsup:

Hopefully this resolves any problems I am experiencing now. Now the only thing that this set up will have different (that I can think of) is the different cams in the engine.

Edit: By the time I posted this, the pin out pic has changed once again....lol

Edit #2: Ok Turdle, decide what your going to put for a pic already...lol

Edit #3: I went back to the original link, it keeps changing on its own..maybe a diagram of the Playboy mansion will pop up sometime :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

And what leads you to believe the Cams are different for the auto and the Manual?

I see a Bikini Clad model in the above Pic :p:

Back