• Register Today It's free!

Gonna need lots of help

Travis Wilcox

Reaction score
City, State
PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
99explorer sport 4x4
Hey guys, I'm new to this so please bare with me. My wife and I recently purchased a 99 explorer sport for our daughters first vehicle. Shortly after we bought it man did the ol' problems arrive. Started off with the transmission feeling alittle jumpy and unsmooth and a loss of power. I had it scanned and received all types of fun info. Misfire on cylinder 4,5,6 o2 sensors (one burning rich, one burning lean) transmission gear 4 wrong ratio, and a rear speed sensor.. so here's what I've done.. I replaced the trans valve body gaskets and all new trans fluid and filter, I've replaced fuel filter, spark plugs, checked for vacuum leaks (which so far I haven't found).
After all that not much has changed, the vehicle feels like it has no power in gear 1 and doesn't kick in to OD (passing gear) but here's what's stumping me.. if I put my foot to the floor all of a sudden the thing will wake up, sound like I ripped the muffler off( normal driving you don't hear any exhaust leaks, even reving it up) and it will have plenty of power gear 1 and OD passing gear will start to work like it should. But is has to start sounding like a tank for it to have the power it should normally, I'll pull it in the driveway when this happens and rev it up and the exhaust pops and gargle like the manifold just decintigrated and then.. minute goes buy and it all goes back to being quiet, no exhaust noise even when reved up and sounds like a normal engine. So yeah..I need all the help I can get, thanks everyone for reading my book lol

Try cleaning the MAF sensor, also inspect the exhaust system itself for failures, particularly the cats as they might have failed causing excessive back pressure.

Travis - Please don't start multiple threads on the same subject. People will not want to bounce back and forth between the two. You can always edit or add to your original thread to add/edit information.

Apologize Koda, when I posted on the new member forum I was told it would be better to post on the regular forums because most people don't respond to the new members one. First time I've ever signed up on one of these so I'm still figuring it out. I will say though I really appreciate everyone's responses. I'm learning a lot about this vehicle, some not so great things about the model we got but still great feedback from everyone.

Back