Good bye to old faithful

mfitz725

03 EB 4x4 4.6l making it thru in NC
Reaction score
City, State
Albemarle NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 Eddie Bauer 4.6L 4x4
Finally having to let go of my 94 XLT. Can't get her to pass emissions here in the Atlanta area. Been my best friend since 98. Still runs and drives good at 246000 miles. I just can't get the nox emissions down or the 0172 code cleared. She's up for sale if anyone is interested. Hate to have to scrap her, would be like committing murder in a way. Replacing her with a 99 Limited in really great condition with 160k.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Get it licensed as a historic vehicle, then you won't have to worry about emissions. I'm sure Georgia has that, or HV (Historic Vehicle) plates.

Get it licensed as a historic vehicle, then you won't have to worry about emissions. I'm sure Georgia has that, or HV (Historic Vehicle) plates.
It would have to be two years older in order to do that here.

It would have to be two years older in order to do that here.

I know that (it is the same in MO) but that wouldn't stop me if I liked the truck. If it were me, I would put a trickle charger on it, and drive it around the neighborhood every once in a while for the next 2 years, then get it Antique/Historic tags in 2019.

Just because a 23 year old truck that probably doesn't get driven more than a couple of thousand miles per year is .0004221231 over their little ppm emissions limit, shouldn't make you junk a serviceable vehicle. It's a nonsense regulation, and you shouldn't fall prey to it, if you like your truck.

You should get a new catalytic converter and O2s, and I bet you'd pass...I certainly wouldn't junk a truck I loved over something like that.

I know that (it is the same in MO) but that wouldn't stop me if I liked the truck. If it were me, I would put a trickle charger on it, and drive it around the neighborhood every once in a while for the next 2 years, then get it Antique/Historic tags in 2019.

Just because a 23 year old truck that probably doesn't get driven more than a couple of thousand miles per year is .0004221231 over their little ppm emissions limit, shouldn't make you junk a serviceable vehicle. It's a nonsense regulation, and you shouldn't fall prey to it, if you like your truck.

You should get a new catalytic converter and O2s, and I bet you'd pass...I certainly wouldn't junk a truck I loved over something like that.

I'very already done o2's and was told new cats would be 700 (which I don't have). The larger issue however is storage as I really don't have any where to park it. I could save up for the cats because I spent all my extra funds on buying the Limited. Storage would be a game changer though. I can't really see anything other to do than sale it and hope it gets a new life somewhere else. I do love that old thing but I've got to be practical about the situation. If I could get it to NC I might be able to store it at my mom's but that a whole other set of logistical problems.

You can get new OE cats at the Auto parts store for $230

NOX is only related to cats. There is no other fix necessary to bring down NOX, just cats.

Your lean code is a fuel issue. Replacing the O2's is a waste of money.

Just because you have an O2 fault does not mean the sensor is bad, but indicates a combustion problem. It's reading always lean, which means the O2 is working properly, now you need to hunt down why the engine is running lean. (Vacuum leak) would be a good start.

Since it is reading lean on both O2's it is likely in the upper intake, after the throttle body.

I corrected the vacuum leaks I could find and had an emissions retest. Came out with the same result.

Sorry to hear this news. Sounds like you made your decision when you bought your 99. Otherwise I would have suggested 'giving' it to a friend that lives outside Atlanta. I'm glad I don't have emissions in Habersham county, Ga!

Sorry to hear this news. Sounds like you made your decision when you bought your 99. Otherwise I would have suggested 'giving' it to a friend that lives outside Atlanta. I'm glad I don't have emissions in Habersham county, Ga!

Well I couldn't give it away as I would like to get at least a few hundred for it to offset part of the expenditure of the 99. My hope is is for four or five hundred. At worst I'll get 300 from the metal scrap yard. As much as I would hate to have to do that.

Take it to the nearest rural non-smog area near ATL, and sell it there -- it would pay you to make the drive. You should be able to get at least $500. If it has a working 4x4 it should fetch more, especially if its in pretty good shape.

Take it to the nearest rural non-smog area near ATL, and sell it there -- it would pay you to make the drive. You should be able to get at least $500. If it has a working 4x4 it should fetch more, especially if its in pretty good shape.

It's not a 4x4 but it's in pretty fair shape. Paint is a bit of a problem with the clear coat coming off in places. Everything works except the AC and the right rear window. Never got around to fixing that one. There's a bypass pulley where the AC compressor should be. If I knew someone in an outlying area that would be perfect to leave it for sale but don't know of anyone off hand.

You don't have to know anyone. Put it in the newspaper in Macon or Athens or Dalton or even as far as Chattanooga etc. or craigslist, Dollar Stretcher, etc. I mean it's your truck do as you will, but I hate to see it go to waste, when you can sell it pretty easily out of the city.

Back