and gain access to Reviews and Discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modifications and Events, Street Truck Mods and Events, and much more! Since 1996 our community has covered every aspect of the Ford Explorer, Ford Ranger and all vehicles based on this platform.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Got told it was my ball joints but how to check

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by johnhw, May 25, 2005.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. johnhw

johnhw New Member

City, State:
      Sydney, NSW, Australia
      Hi Everyone,
      I have a 1999 XLT stock 4WD, with about 140,000Km on it.
      It is making a noice like there is a stone or something in the tyre but only around 60-90Km/Hr (sorry I am an Aussie). Well this is when you can notice it more.
      I have had the wheels checked and balanced and a friend who is into cars told me this could be my ball joints.
      Is there any way to check or sure it is this before I take it in ??
      I am not a mechanic by any streach of the imagination and would love any feed back.
      Thanks,
      John

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. dman726749

dman726749 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Greenwood Indiana
      Year and Model:
      96 xlt
      jack the truck up, once the tire is in the air grab ahold of it at the top and bottom and see if there is any play in the tire. if ig goes in and out a considerable amount then it is time for new ball joints.

Welcome :D

4. johnhw

johnhw New Member

City, State:
      Sydney, NSW, Australia
      Thanks for the tip, I shall give it a go. Now the best part, any ideas on costs to replace ?? I have read alot of stories and they all vary. I know it is a hard question but any guidance would be appreciated ....... again........thanks for your help.
      John :eek:)

5. Bronco638

Bronco638 Nobody Home Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Itasca IL
      Year and Model:
      '96 XLT 4.0L OHV
      Hey John, again, welcome.

If you use the Search feature, I'm sure you'll find a few posts on the cost of ball joint replacement and the effort involved. You might even find a thread or two explaining how to do it. However, since you're not mechanically inclined and in Australia, some of the information here may not apply to your situation. There are a few Forum members from Oz, Adam Berger comes to mind. You may want to send a PM (private message) to them to see if they have any suggestions or experiences when it comes to replacing ball joints. They'll be able to provide the "Aussie point of view". From what I've read (and, I'd be willing to do it myself), it's not an easy job which may explain why it tends to be expensive (labor-wise).

Best of Luck - Dave.

6. konaboy

konaboy Active Member

City, State:
      Ohio
      Year and Model:
      1997 XLT
      Just got a quote on mine to replace both uppers and lowers (uppers are most likely bad which need it I'll know definately on friday morning.) $937 that's labor and parts they figured about 7 hours in labor. I'm going to my inlaws on friday morning to work on this instead. The wife's, uncle (if you followed that) is great with car repairs and said he'd help me. Uppers w/control arms from moog are running about $130 each from the local parts store for my '97 4x4.

Kona

7. johnhw

johnhw New Member

City, State:
      Sydney, NSW, Australia
      Thanks everyone for your reply's and advice. I will send a PM to Adam and do a little more scearching to see what I can find out. It does sound like a labour intense job, I am going to take it to a local Ford dealer in the morning and see what they say. I will come back and let you all know....bit worried really about costs now.
      I have a friend who is into cars and will see if he will help me do it ourselves as he has a home garage at his place.
      Thanks again all........more to come.............
      John

8. Lloyd10977

Lloyd10977 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Trenton, NJ
      Year and Model:
      1995 Limited
    9. dunedago

dunedago New Member

City, State:
      Olympia
      Year and Model:
      '98 Eddie Bauer/'94 XLT
      Probably too late, but MAKE SURE YOU GET REGREASABLE BALL JOINTS!! Yes they sell them, and they last a whole lot longer than regular ones, I think the company is called MOOG who makes them, but they come with a notch for where the grease gun can be used on them. Lasts waaaayy longer

10. Hartman

Hartman Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Indianapolis, IN
      Year and Model:
      1996 5.0
      If its a sound that speeds up as your speed increases, it is not the balljoints. The balljoints will make a squeek while going over bumps and possibly make noise while turning.

11. konaboy

konaboy Active Member

City, State:
      Ohio
      Year and Model:
      1997 XLT
      Just replaced the passenger side upper ball joint on Friday. Replaced with a moog that has a grease fitting, it came with the upper control arm and was really pretty easy to do. The symptoms mine had were as described above, squeaking an creaking going over bumps, you could push up and down on the bumper and hear it squeak when you got out of the car it creaked. New upper arm/joint cost $130 and less than an hour in labor. Good luck!
      You might try having someone push up and down on the front end and get on the side you are hearing the noise and feel around the upper and lower joints to see if you can feel any grinding or rubbing when the joint moves.

Kona

12. ANMAN

ANMAN New Member

City, State:
      Vermont
      Year and Model:
      98 xlt
      I just replaced my lower ball joints no my 98 AWD and the Chilton book says that they couldn't be replaced! just go buy a whole lower control arm! Well I replaced them anyways, had to take the CV joint off to get it out, quite a long ordeal, but I did get the chance to beat the rust of my rotors, change the spark plugs and put in some new shocks!

All of this because I was warned TWICE, from a shop and the dealer that they were loose which they were NOT!! Well anyways, I put everthing together and now my steering control arms are loose: shaking violently at 70mph, and I get suspension noise out of the front goin over bumps, ugh. Anyways, don't pay for the job, it's a learning process, takes a while but saves a pile of money!

13. budwich

budwich Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ont
      Year and Model:
      96 XL
      You are right about the chilton / hayes (ie. not replaceable) but the jobers / parts store sell the ball joint only so you figured right. Tough job though but as you say, a lot cheaper than having it done if you can hang in there and have a few tools and time. Are you sure you got your control arms torque down and are not a little loose? Perhaps they were (the shops) talking about the upper ball joints, on my 96 one side was obviously "distressed"... easy to see while the other side, the upper ball joint appeared fine yet when I went over bumps, there was a squeak. Replaced it and now its fine.... Note for the upper joints, you have to replace the control arm (or part of it on the passenger side). The driver side is relatively awful, cause you can't get the large bolts holding the control arm out because things like fuel lines block its path...ugh.