Solved - Grease fitting not taking grease | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved Grease fitting not taking grease

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.

cvxmike

Reaction score
City, State
Batavia, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT
Sometimes 1 or more of my chassis grease fittings will not take grease. After putting the grease hose nozzle over the grease fitting and pumping; the grease doesn’t go into the fitting but comes out of the nozzle by passing around the fitting. This continues to happen even after resetting the nozzle several times on the grease fitting.

Have you had this problem? How do I resolve this problem?

Thanks much!

Mike Petersen

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A good rule of thumb before greasing up the front in is to clean the fitting off really well. That is usually where your problems start. Clean them off so there isn't much/any dirt at the top of the fitting - cause if you put your gun on there and push grease in, you're pushing that dirt in there which can get behind the little ball and not allow it to take grease. Get a pen with a good point and push the ball in if you can. Otherwise, you can buy zerk fittings anywhere and I am sure they are only like 5 cents each. :thumbsup:

-Drew

Here's a view of the check ball on top of a clean grease fitting:
zerk.jpg
ci1.gif
ci2.gif

Here are cut out internal views:
fitting02.jpg
hp_fit8.gif

There are repair tools for these fittings as shown below:
403713_lg.gif

These tools are used to clean these fittings:
403100_lg.jpg

They sell caps to keep them clean:
Grease_Fitting_522.jpg
gf_r1_c1.gif
cap.gif

lubricap.jpg
1436_c.jpg
522_r1_c1.gif

There are many different types of assorted kits on the market as shown below:
Item_U93985b8afcce07.jpg

I had one on a tie rod like this, I replaced it and it still would not take grease.
The problem was the tie rod itself, the clearance behind the fitting was nil it needed to be replaced.
Also if air/old grease can't get out of the boot grease won't be allowed in.

Thanks to Drew, BrooklynBay, and 410Fortune!

cvxmike

x2 on the protective covering

come on guys!!!!! fittings only take 5 minutes to change and i paid 72 cents each at the autopart :p I think fitting should be changed as a part or normal tuen up in car.

This happens to me lots at work, and when it does I just switch to a needle tip grease gun and it works everytime.

When this happens I just get a hammer and blunt nail and tap the ball in the center of the fitting to press it in slightly which usually frees it up.

I have found when the end of the hose of the grease gun gets worn out that it will often put grease out around the zerk rather then through it. When holding the end straight on the fitting does not correct it, i replace the nozzle on the hose. Works for a long time again.

come on guys!!!!! fittings only take 5 minutes to change and i paid 72 cents each at the autopart :p I think fitting should be changed as a part or normal tuen up in car.

You say do it during a regular tune up, so.. what grease should I use? Forgive me I am a newb, I understand the importance of keeping everything lubed up, just never done it myself. Or maybe you can point me in the right direction on a good howto thread.

Back