• Register Today It's free!

GWC Warranties

ljcorby

Reaction score
City, State
Great Meadows, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer XLT
So I purchased a new to me 2013 Ford Explorer XLT with about 98000 miles from a used car lot, not a Ford dealer...I believe I got a very good deal and the truck was immaculate, ran great etc....I was provided a 90 day or 4500 mile extended warranty through GWC Warranty. Now they are calling me to extend or renew the warranty for 3 years to the tune of about $4,200 and a certain amount down, and they a certain amount per month for the 3 years. Worth it? I don't think it is. Thoughts? Ready go!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I couldn't tell you if it is worth it or not, that is up to you.

But with 98K+ on the vehicle I would pull a oil sample and get it analyzed to see what is in it as far as wear metals or coolant. You are at the point of the dreaded water pump failure which leads to a new or rebuilt engine.

So I purchased a new to me 2013 Ford Explorer XLT with about 98000 miles from a used car lot, not a Ford dealer...I believe I got a very good deal and the truck was immaculate, ran great etc....I was provided a 90 day or 4500 mile extended warranty through GWC Warranty. Now they are calling me to extend or renew the warranty for 3 years to the tune of about $4,200 and a certain amount down, and they a certain amount per month for the 3 years. Worth it? I don't think it is. Thoughts? Ready go!
If considering an extended warranty, I would get it through Joel who has provided many members with Ford warranties. As mentioned in a reply to your post in the thread in which you asked about it, the cost will be on a "used" vehicle and would be a few hundred more than the new vehicle ESP. To me $4,200 seems quite high and there is likely tax on that as well.
Your regular maintenance according to your Manual will be;
- At 100000 miles (160000 km) Change engine coolant.
- Every 100000 miles (160000 km) Replace spark plugs. Inspect accessory drive belt(s).
- Every 150000 miles (240000 km) Change automatic transmission fluid. Replace accessory drive belt(s) if not replaced within the last 100000 miles (160000 km).

Peter

$4,200 is insane. When I extended mine right before my first one expired, it was about $1,800 for 3yr/36k more and it was a Ford ESP, not a 3rd party. I had 119k or so when I renewed it.

Thanks all, will contact Joel to see what he can do for me. Again, thanks.

Back