Half Doors - Latest Project . . . Teaser | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Half Doors - Latest Project . . . Teaser

Paul

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Grit City, Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 “Sport”
Just a work in progress, lots more to do, but here is what I have so far...

Paul
'91 Sport

Attachments

• Safari Exterior.JPG
    Safari Exterior.JPG
    137.5 KB · Views: 843

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

:thumbsup:

FRICKEN COOL!

*I* knew it was coming.....LOL

Ryan

Thanks Ryan !

Ryan -

Thanks for the lead on the on the parted-out Navajo - - I only wish the fab work was $75 per door ...:rolleyes:

Doors are now at the boat canvas/window guy, who has some cool ideas for the vinyl windows ... and the inner door skins; had to move the interior door latches forward based on the cut-out...

...then off to Maaco for paint.

Thanks also to Fire Zapper for his original idea and comments as I started this project.

Paul
'91 Sport

Attachments

• Safari Interior.JPG
    Safari Interior.JPG
    152.5 KB · Views: 784
  • Safari Moved Latch.JPG
    Safari Moved Latch.JPG
    139.8 KB · Views: 801

looks good paul, how much is the canvas going to cost

JR -

Less than $100 per door, and that includes a 3/4 zipper to have the windows "half-open" and a canvas "sleeve" that I can put the windows in when they are not mounted on the door.

Door skins still in negotiation, he'll add some bracing and padding to accomodate the arm rest and cut-out and paint them to match the interior...

Paul
'91 Sport

Attachments

• Safari Top View.JPG
    Safari Top View.JPG
    155.7 KB · Views: 783

Very Impressive!....

I really like it!

Ryan

What is the cost for the windows from the boat guy? Just curious cause I am looking to put some sort of removeable door on mine. I am thinking of just using the skin of a stockk door and than making some sort of removeable mounting sytem to attach them to the tube doors. Easy on, easy off kind of thing.

Kev -

Less than $100 per door, and that includes a canvas/vinyl storage "pouch" to put the windows in when I take them off at the trail head.

The window plan consists of a combination of twist-lock fasteners (4) for the lower portion exterior, with velcro on the horizontal cut-out portion, then either pull-the-dot fastners or snaps on the inner door frame.

A 3/4 zipper starting from the forward edge of the horizontal cut-out portion to the top of the frame in the vicinity of the "B" pillar will allow me to zip down the window for toll booths and 'Jack in the Box' or to get some air on long trip to Moab...

All that being said, you could probably get it done for less money, but I wanted it pretty snugged-in since I'll still be driving it on road.

Paul
'91 Sport

Purists be Damned !!!

Okay, so not the traditional Bronco . . . but Hey, it's a two door and has been referred to as a "Bronco" more times than I can remember. . . so as I added the safari doors thought I'd throw in some "bling" Yeah, so I don't use the term "bling" too much either...

So, got a bit more work done; painted the door jambs a close enough color to match the rest of the rig, drilled holes for the B3 emblems, just need to paint the side view mirrors before sending it all off to Maaco...

Paul
'91 Sport

Attachments

• Bronco 3.JPG
    Bronco 3.JPG
    129.1 KB · Views: 718
  • Jamb #4.JPG
    Jamb #4.JPG
    143.7 KB · Views: 716
  • Bronco 3 #1.JPG
    Bronco 3 #1.JPG
    139.1 KB · Views: 730

Nice, I love the emblems. That's not bling, it's uniqueness!! Is that even a word?

SHouldn't it be;

Bronco III ?:cool:

When ya gonna put in the Dynamat and fiberglass enclosure for your 3-12" WOOFERS?? JK;)

He was stereotyping the origin of the word "bling"

Wow that turned out great:thumbsup: Can't wait to see it in Moab!

He was stereotyping the origin of the word "bling"

Kevin -

I know, I just wanted Phil (aka 'The Crumudgeon') to explain it - - I think he's trying to "put a little Phildizzle in my schizzle..." Or something like that...:rolleyes:

Paul

Wow that turned out great:thumbsup: Can't wait to see it in Moab!

Thanks Rick, two months to the day - -can't wait to get back there. . .

Paul
'91 Sport

Any progress on these?

Any progress on these?

Moving forward, just nothing worth posting pictures on... Re-painted the mirrors and door section adjacent to the "B" Pillar wrinkle-black, plus relocated my ARB switch from the door panel cluster (window/lock area) to the dash.

Waiting on the window/door skin guy to fit the new panels this week, going into paint this Saturday.

Sorry I missed you in Puyallup - - Got caught up in home projects, then had to go back to Bellevue to grab the hinges for these doors on Saturday. Hope you found some good deals for the BII.

Paul

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Progress!

Finally something worth posting. . . Have been some issues getting the "windows" done, but need it to be more Spring-like around here, so I hung the doors with the hopes it would improve the weather - - tomorrow's forecast: Rain:wtf:

Here's the pics:

Attachments

• Driver - Herculined.JPG
    Driver - Herculined.JPG
    120.5 KB · Views: 5,203
  • Passenger Oblique.JPG
    Passenger Oblique.JPG
    151.9 KB · Views: 610
  • Emblem #1.JPG
    Emblem #1.JPG
    129 KB · Views: 606
  • Passenger Look-In.JPG