Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Hankook or Pirelli?

Discussion in 'Tires & Wheels' started by Saleen_SR71, January 4, 2005.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Saleen_SR71

Saleen_SR71 Active Member

City, State:
      San Jose, CA
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      '97 EB 5.0
      well im going to be getting my 22's soon, so im looking at 2 choices of tire (since i could get them "inspected" mounted and balanced with a free set of lugs off the net)

and my choices are Hankook Ventus Sport K or Pirelli Scorpion Zeros price difference is like $195, the guy said he would hook me up good on the package which he is...

i was leaning toward the Pirelli's because i heard Hankooks arnt good (plus i got some right now and they suck for traction)

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. X~FACTOR

X~FACTOR Name is Ray

City, State:
      Valley Stream, Long Island
      '97 XLT 4-dr SOHC
      Well, there's your answer. :)

4. BeauJ

BeauJ Moderator Emeritus

I had Hankook Ventus on my 20s and they were great for the price. What size 22 inch tires are they?

5. Saleen_SR71

Saleen_SR71 Active Member

City, State:
      San Jose, CA
      '97 EB 5.0
      265/35... i remember somone saying that is the only size that i could go without rubbing so thats what i went with, plus thats what the guy recomended over the phone

6. magicMarker

magicMarker New Member

2014 Explorer Limited
      My 2014 Explorer Limited came with Hankooks, and I left them on for economy's sake but have never been happy with them. They deflate more than they should, have had to be repaired several times, and do not give a good feel for the road; as you say, they "suck for traction." I finally had them replaced with Pirelli Scorpions, which give much better feel for the road, with improved traction so far as I can tell. In fairness, I got 50,000 miles out of the Hankooks but would not advise anyone to push them that far.... In future, when I get my next Explorer, I will try to avoid Hankooks entirely or replace them ASAP if they come standard....

7. Dono

Dono V8 Limited turbo and retired SC 4.0 OHV Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Winnipeg, Manitoba
      00 Limited V8
      I see your in California.
      Have you thought about a true summer tire?
      Have a look at Pirelli Scorpion Verde. I'm thinking of trying these out in spring.

I have winter tires, so these look like an awesome summer tire as long as you 99% pavement.

8. magicMarker

magicMarker New Member

2014 Explorer Limited
      Yes, to be exact, Pirelli Scorpion Verde is what I am driving now, as they are described as an all season tire, and since I live in Delaware now, there is not much real winter weather, not enough to put snow tires on. Anyway, I am closer to %100 pavement....