• Register Today It's free!

Harsh reverse when accelerating

Mickalo

Reaction score
City, State
Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Explorer w/4.0 4wd
Not sure this is normal for a 5r55s in a 2010 explorer w/4.0 but noticed yesterday while backing up had to accelerate quickly and the trany sounding like it just slammed into reverse (it was already in reverse) like if you have it neutral rev up the engine and drop into reverse. Haven't had any issues before with reverse or any forward gears O/D works fine.

Was wondering if this may have something to do with the traction control or auto 4wd. It goes into reverse fine just noticed while backing up under normal speed, then have to step on it, it's sound like it just slammed into reverse again.

Fluid level is fine.

TIA

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Maybe check for a broken motor or transmission mount, that is my first thought.

If you really are having a issue in reverse it might be a good idea to put on a pressure gauge and monitor the pressures.

5r55w pressure tap.JPG

thanks for the info. what is the procedure for pressure testing? As far as I tell mounts are fine. this only happened once no other problems with the trany as of yet.

You would want to install a 300psi guage at the line pressure port and check pressure readings at idle and again at stall for both drive and reverse, then compair them to the readings listed above.

thanks allot will check it out when I get a test gauge. appreciate it.

Back