Has anyone installed HIDs on 06 explorer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Has anyone installed HIDs on 06 explorer?

chispas109

Reaction score
City, State
Bronx, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer
I have a limited edition of the 06 explorer. I installed HIDs on the truck but there's one problem that annoys me: HIDs aren't recognized and I get a message: "check right and left headlamps"

I could reset the message but it will come on when the ignition is turned off and back on. I've asked many electricians; they say there's no way to override that message.

Anyone experiencing the same problem?????????????Help

I want to keep the HIDs, however I will take them out if I dont find the way around it. Can anyone help?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

first off - PLEASE post pictures

Secondly, I wonder as to why there is an issue. Do you just have HID bulbs plugged into the stock connectors? What color range are you using and how exactly is it installed. More information the better

-Drew

HID systems use less power than regular halogen bulbs. If I remember correctly, HID's use 35w and halogens are 55/110w. You are getting the message because the computer thinks the bulbs are faulty due to the low amount of power the HID's are drawing. I remember seeing on a Mercedes or Audi board that someone built a part to trick the computer into thinking halogens are involved using resistors. There is also a part I saw on a website that fixes this, Ill try to find it and post the link.

maby use a resistor.

Use a 4.5 ohms resistor as replcement for the halogens and switch the HIDs using an additional relay. This will keep the message away from the messagecenter, but remember that you will not have the monitoring function for the headlights anymore.
Otherwise place an additional load to the wire.

Do you have single-Xenon´s oru double ? ( HiBeam ? ) I bought Xenons but they have only driving light, no HiBeam, and I don´t know where to place add-on Hibeams on my Eddie.

Crizz said:
Use a 4.5 ohms resistor as replcement for the halogens and switch the HIDs using an additional relay. This will keep the message away from the messagecenter, but remember that you will not have the monitoring function for the headlights anymore.
Otherwise place an additional load to the wire.

Do you have single-Xenon´s oru double ? ( HiBeam ? ) I bought Xenons but they have only driving light, no HiBeam, and I don´t know where to place add-on Hibeams on my Eddie.

I have single-xenon. we just lose the hibeam. I haven't heard of HID kit with both hi and low in one bulb. think it's not available yet. maybe only for H4 bulbs

I have a limited edition of the 06 explorer. I installed HIDs on the truck but there's one problem that annoys me: HIDs aren't recognized and I get a message: "check right and left headlamps"

I could reset the message but it will come on when the ignition is turned off and back on. I've asked many electricians; they say there's no way to override that message.

Anyone experiencing the same problem?????????????Help

I want to keep the HIDs, however I will take them out if I dont find the way around it. Can anyone help?
I have Hids and haven't had your problem at all

Back