Has the water pump issue been resolved for the 2016 model year? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Has the water pump issue been resolved for the 2016 model year?

Stinger3092

Reaction score
City, State
MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Ford CVPI
I've been reading a lot about the water pump failing extremely early (under 100K Miles) I'd like to know has this been fixed for the 2016 Model year and up? Or would you advise me to replaced it right away to avoid having the issue later on. I really want a 2016 MY but it's still fairly new hard to find a used one but I've found 2013-2015 ones with miles under 100K but don't want them if they have this issue (could have been fixed when in service) this is the only thing worrying me about getting an PIU.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've been reading a lot about the water pump failing extremely early (under 100K Miles) I'd like to know has this been fixed for the 2016 Model year and up? Or would you advise me to replaced it right away to avoid having the issue later on. I really want a 2016 MY but it's still fairly new hard to find a used one but I've found 2013-2015 ones with miles under 100K but don't want them if they have this issue (could have been fixed when in service) this is the only thing worrying me about getting an PIU.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
To my knowledge there has been no change to the way the engine is designed regarding the 'pump'. Ford is still using the internal water pump.

Peter

If it bothers you then try to factor in some of the repair cost into the purchase price and have a new pump installed. Buying a PIU which has more wear and tear on it may not be for you OR you may buy one where the pump has already been replaced. I think you're worrying about something which in the scope of things would probably have already happened if you bought a PIU.

I'm wondering if the water pump on the 3.7L is affected like the other vehicles. I have a 14', but I'm not sure if anything design wise was changed or updated after 2011 production. Is a scary thought though, given the amount of labor/replacement of possible engine if it fails.

Nothing changed on 5th generation engines. Water pump should be replaced by 100k if you want to play you gotta pay. It's not that bad a job. If it fails it will destroy engine if not found immediately

Just had my wife’s 2017 Limited pump replaced at 55,400 miles. Ford quoted me $1800-2000. Ouch! I was 4 months out of the drivetrain warranty and Ford chipped in and I only paid $625. It’s in the back of my mind that this will happen again. Might think of selling next spring.

Back