for access to Reviews and Discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modification, Events, and more!

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Hauling a Canoe on top

Discussion in 'General Explorations!!' started by blackbirdxx, December 10, 2003.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. blackbirdxx

blackbirdxx New Member

City, State:
      Valdosta, GA
      Year and Model:
      97 XLT 4WD
      Does anyone out there have a canoe that they take around on top of their X? I have a 97 with the factory luggage rack I am looking to take a canoe across the country with. I know Yakima makes a mount (Gunwale) but does this fit on top of the factory crossbars?

Any recommendations?

Thanks.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Blee1099

Blee1099 Evil Asian Moderator Emeritus EF Vendor

City, State:
      Elkridge, MD
      Year and Model:
      Ask Sunbum.. I know he does alot of kayaking. I'm sure you could, as long as it doesn't weigh more than 200 lbs.

4. KPT

KPT Well-Known Member

City, State:
      NC
      Year and Model:
      '95 XL 4x4
      I've done it before. Just ratchet strap the front & rear of the canoe to the front & rear bumpers. I also used some foam pieces cut to fit on the gunwhales to keep it from hitting the roof near the windshield.

5. V8BoatBuilder

V8BoatBuilder Transplanted Bostonian

City, State:
      East Brunswick, NJ
      Year and Model:
      97 Mountaineer V8 4x4
      I've carried canoes and kayaks on the stock racks of my 4 door. A short boat can be done with nothing but rope, but for longer boats its best to get foam blocks to elevate the boat off the roof in the front of the truck. Ratchet straps are great. When tieing down, make sure you go to the frame, and stay away from moving suspention parts or hot exhaust pipes.

Racks are nice, but unessecery.

6. TheRookie

TheRookie Traveling SAS guru

City, State:
      West Chester PA
      Year and Model:
      91 explorer xlt
      the yakima rack will only fit their cross bars. my friend has it.

7. Fish Man

Fish Man Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Marietta, GA
      Year and Model:
      1995 Explorer XLT
      agreed. i put our 17' old town on there all the time with ratchet straps and some foam.

8. Charlie's_93EB

Charlie's_93EB Cat 3 Hurricane Rated Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Venice florida
      Year and Model:
      1993 Eddie Bauer
      i know the roof rack says 100lbs but, what did you think the max really is, i ask this because i have a fake geeneew, mine is 19' long and 37" wide and i would say 130lbs or so what do you guys think??? :)

9. JDraper

JDraper Somewhat Functional Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      McVeytown, PA
      Year and Model:
      '11 XLT
      I have a 16' broad beam canoe that we put on the roof of my X. I removed the cross bars and put the foam rubber bumpers that you can buy on the canoe gunnels and let it sit on the roof. I then tied the canoe to the roof rack tie downs, the brushguard on the front, and the hitch on the back. Last time, I drove it about 180 miles at highway speeds with no problems at all. Make sure when you tie off the nose and the tail, you tie it in a "V" shape to keep it from moving side to side much.

I didn't use the factory roof rack because I didn't like how high the canoe sat. The closer to the roof it sits, the less air can get underneath it.

10. Bwana Bob

Bwana Bob Active Member

City, State:
      Morris Plains, NJ
      Year and Model:
      92 XLT
      Canoe

I bought some adapters that fit in the roof rack tracks. They were made by a company called Raqadaptour, I think. They allowed me to use Yakima crossbars in the factory tracks. Yakima may make an adapter now that will fit the factory tracks. However the tracks are too short to adequately support the canoe, so I bought a set of the Yakima towers with the rubber pads and clamps that fit inside the doors and grab the rubber rain gutters. This allowed me to put one crossbar right over the driver's seat. Thus, I have 3 crossbars: one up front, one at the extreme rear, and one in the middle. The middle one doesn't actually support the canoe. I strap the canoe to the crossbars, and of course fore and aft, which is what really holds it on.

Bob