Header cracked...

Mitchs07explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Meridian, Idaho
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT V8 AWD
07 XLT V6
So Im pretty sure I have the common cracked header issue on my 97 5.0 XLT I just picked up. I'm looking at the Dorman replacements and am wondering if I should just replace the passanger side manifold which is the one that is leaking or if it's better to replace both at the same time? Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks in advance :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would recommend you wait to make that decision after you do the passenger side. This can be a real PITA job. Having said that the driver side is twice as easy in my opinion. The inside manifold to exhaust bolt is a lot easier to access on the driver side (after removing the front drive shaft, if you have one) and you don't have to deal with the EGR line. There are several good threads on here of how to do both sides.

I’d only replace the passenger.

IMG_1510.JPG
IMG_1509.JPG

Found my leak or at least one of them, this is the EGR tube right?

Yeah. Manifold is still likely cracked in half as well

That looks like the EGR tube.

It’s very difficult to get the EGR off the manifold. It’s the threads to the manifold that are tough. It can be replaced without pulling the manifold, but I’m betting it’s majorly cracked as well.

Most people I've been told get the 1 1/16" wrench, remove the oil filler neck and air intake duct and can apparently somehow get the wrench on it, I'd bet on needing a "cheater pipe" though on the end of that wrench. I've got to do the manifold on mine, I have the manifold too, I'm dreading it.

Has anyone used the Dorman replacement? I'm typically not a fan of their products but it seems to be one of the more readily available and "better quality" as far as not buying something as nice as torque monsters.

Yes, I used the Dorman replacement for the passenger side, no fitment problems.

I thought you tubular header guys could upgrade to the better flowing cast iron manifolds?

They are a lot cheaper and it is said they flow better.

Boy, can I say something about this issue. I’ve towed three trailers up the AlCan with mine. The long tow generates a lot of heat in that corner of the engine compartment and seems to kill these. Each time I’ve ended up with a cracked exhaust manifold. Every time I replaced it, it was with a Dorman. The good news is; Autozone always honored the warranty. The bad news is; the Dorman isn’t any better than the OEM and needed to be replaced every time and it’s not fun.

The third Dorman was leaking at the time I galled a piston at 195k. I lucked out and found a low miles 98 Merc engine for $600. It came with cast iron headers and runs great, even better IMHO. I truly believe the difference is in the cast iron headers. Just ran down the AlCan again this week with no issues. The cast are cheap, easy to find and worth it!

Removing the EGR tube is a real PITA. Yours is definitely split. I used a sawzall to cut the tube in half then removed the old header. To reinstall I rigged up a tool using a crows-foot open-end socked attachment attached to a long bolt with jam nuts that I could turn from above the engine. A 1/16 turn open end wrench won’t turn enough down below to flip the wrench for another turn. The header R&R is a LOT easier if you pull the wheel off and remove the fenderwell liner.

Be sure to use anti-seize on the header and exhaust flange bolts and EGR connection when you put them back in. Also use a high quality gasket. I’ve used Fel-Pro and Mr. Gasket with great results. Use emory cloth on a small flat board to remove any rust from the mating surface of the head beforehand. Snug and tighten the bolts sequentially working from the center of the header and work your way left and right towards the front and rear of the head as you go a step at a time like you would with wheel lugs. Can’t recall the torque setting exactly, believe it was 22-25 ft-lbs. I’m sure someone here can get you that number.

Finally, be certain those plug wires have good heat shielding and don’t rest anywhere on the header when you’re done or you’ll have a new set of problems

Good luck, hope this helps!

Boy, can I say something about this issue. I’ve towed three trailers up the AlCan with mine. The long tow generates a lot of heat in that corner of the engine compartment and seems to kill these. Each time I’ve ended up with a cracked exhaust manifold. Every time I replaced it, it was with a Dorman. The good news is; Autozone always honored the warranty. The bad news is; the Dorman isn’t any better than the OEM and needed to be replaced every time and it’s not fun.

The third Dorman was leaking at the time I galled a piston at 195k. I lucked out and found a low miles 98 Merc engine for $600. It came with cast iron headers and runs great, even better IMHO. I truly believe the difference is in the cast iron headers. Just ran down the AlCan again this week with no issues. The cast are cheap, easy to find and worth it!

Removing the EGR tube is a real PITA. Yours is definitely split. I used a sawzall to cut the tube in half then removed the old header. To reinstall I rigged up a tool using a crows-foot open-end socked attachment attached to a long bolt with jam nuts that I could turn from above the engine. A 1/16 turn open end wrench won’t turn enough down below to flip the wrench for another turn. The header R&R is a LOT easier if you pull the wheel off and remove the fenderwell liner.

Be sure to use anti-seize on the header and exhaust flange bolts and EGR connection when you put them back in. Also use a high quality gasket. I’ve used Fel-Pro and Mr. Gasket with great results. Use emory cloth on a small flat board to remove any rust from the mating surface of the head beforehand. Snug and tighten the bolts sequentially working from the center of the header and work your way left and right towards the front and rear of the head as you go a step at a time like you would with wheel lugs. Can’t recall the torque setting exactly, believe it was 22-25 ft-lbs. I’m sure someone here can get you that number.

Finally, be certain those plug wires have good heat shielding and don’t rest anywhere on the header when you’re done or you’ll have a new set of problems

Good luck, hope this helps!

Okay, I have an update after pulling an 8,100lb trailer up the AlCan to Fairbanks from Oregon via Spokane:

First, let me say I wouldn’t ever recommend pulling a trailer this heavy with a stock Ex! I was most certainly over the CVWR by a few thousand pounds, something the Canadian Border folks promptly noticed and sent me directly to speak with the RCMP (Royal Canadian Mounted Police) as I entered Canada. I was able to convince them to let me proceed but not until a good bit of delay and grief.

Since I had to go through Spokane my route took me over several steep mountain passes northbound and the old 5.0L was breathing HARD. Although I was taking it as easy as possible, things get extremely hot around the exhaust manifolds, red hot. The ambient temps at some of my stops were -20F and after two long days of towing the sound of the old familiar exhaust leak(s) returned. Upon inspection, three of the EM bolts had backed out about 1/8” or more and one was missing altogether! I torqued them all back down to 35 ft-lbs thinking any more than that and I’ll have a broken stud to deal with. I’m thinking the extremes in temps allowed for these bolts to work their way out aided by my use of anti-seize compound... I had extra bolts and gaskets with me and replaced things along the road. Not fun...but at least I had learned my lesson from before.

I also ended up replacing 12 plug wires along the way as they failed from the heat (Belden brand). I carry extras of those too.

I didn’t have time to remove and inspect the EM’s once I arrived in the north as I had to get things in storage and catch a southbound plane.

I’m wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience using anti-seize on these bolts and has anyone found a better brand of heat resistant plug wire?

I have a set of OBX headers that’ll be going on when I install my new 320 HP engine next fall when I return to AK and am wondering if these are going to hurt or improve the heat situation under the hood. Maybe I should wrap them with ceramic tape before installing them?

Has anyone tried improving air flow in this tight engine compartment with any success? (I was running with the fender well liner flaps removed too)

Thanks for any advice in advance. I’m returning to Antarctica for 7 months in a few days and if I don’t reply quickly it’s because the internet situation there sucks....

I'm afraid you'll have an even greater heat issue with the obx's as they are not ceramic coated. Longer tube length is more surface area is more heat under the hood. On top of that the tubes are closer to everything (if they fit right to begin with) and you'll most likely melt even more wires and the hvac box and maybe a vacuum line and steering shaft cover.

May I suggest Magnecor 10mm for your ignition wires. You can have them built to custom lengths so as to route them as far from the headers as possible.

You could put some hood vents in like the 98' Jeep 5.9 Limited's have for ventilation. Maybe some Shelby ones!

I don't know if ARP Ultra Torque assembly lube works for headers but as far as bolts, look into Nord-Lock.

So you made it across the border with a 5.0l ex tugging a vastly overweight trailer and drove the alcan and 12 road side wire changes? You know haw to party!

LOL wow.... I pulled a 4000 lb trailer from Mesa AZ to Overgaard AZ (a climb of 7000 ft) and I thought i was "roughing" it. All i had happen was a burnt plug wire (having read your posts, I now know why that happened) My hats off to you!

Since that time I have installed a 2 core all aluminum radiator and doubled my transmission cooler capacity.

LOL wow.... I pulled a 4000 lb trailer from Mesa AZ to Overgaard AZ (a climb of 7000 ft) and I thought i was "roughing" it. All i had happen was a burnt plug wire (having read your posts, I now know why that happened) My hats off to you!

Since that time I have installed a 2 core all aluminum radiator and doubled my transmission cooler capacity.

Sounds like the radiator upgrade is a “must do” to add to my list when I get back! Where did you find it? My Ex came with a trailer tow package that included an in-line water-cooled oil filter base, an extra capacity aluminum oil pan and an external tranny cooler.

I don’t think the tow package comes with a larger pan. There’s not really any room for a larger pan with the way the front suspension is set up. The tow packages on these are fairly lame. It’s a transmission cooler, the D4 rear axle, and the plug in harness.

I don’t think the tow package comes with a larger pan. There’s not really any room for a larger pan with the way the front suspension is set up. The tow packages on these are fairly lame. It’s a transmission cooler, the D4 rear axle, and the plug in harness.

You’re probably correct as the capacity may be the same but it’s definitely a bit deeper compared to the pressed steel one on the ‘temporary’ 98 Mounty engine I’m running now. Did the oil intercooler setup come stock on 97’s? I’d send a photo of the aluminum oil pan but it’s at the shop building my new engine in AK...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The oil cooler was standard in the early years.

Back