1. for access to reviews and discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer, Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modification, Events, and more!

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Header panel and turn signal replacent

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by Yerfdog79, February 20, 2012.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Yerfdog79

Yerfdog79 New Member

City, State:
      Bishopville, MD
      Year and Model:
      2000 Limited
      Does anyone have an idea on where I can get the inserts or grommets that go into the header panel to accept the studs from the turn signal assemblies. My current header panel is cracked and a couple of the holes have the grommets "melted" into the panel and some of the studs have thick, black stuff on them. Thanks for any help. :thumbsup:

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. gonenuke

gonenuke Active Member

City, State:
      Virginia
      Year and Model:
      1999 Explorer XLT SOHC
      About $22 for the header panel at Rockauto. Might get the grommets in help section of local auto store.

4. Yerfdog79

Yerfdog79 New Member

City, State:
      Bishopville, MD
      Year and Model:
      2000 Limited
      I have a replacement. Didn't come with anyhting in the holes. Having it painted at the moment. I will check Napa today. They usually have a good selection. If they don't, do you think maybe finding rubber grommets with a slightly smaller hole than the diameter of the studs would work?

5. gonenuke

gonenuke Active Member

City, State:
      Virginia
      Year and Model:
      1999 Explorer XLT SOHC
      The grommet is Part # HM1 $6.50 and it is called a grommet. If you go thru Ford have them look at exterior lighting - turn signal assembly part # N81169-S Hope this helps. You might also try Lowes I seem to remember grommets in their specilized hardware section.

6. Yerfdog79

Yerfdog79 New Member

City, State:
      Bishopville, MD
      Year and Model:
      2000 Limited
      Yup. Looks like gonna be a trip to the ford dealer. Tried the Help! grommet kit. Had to get three packs to get six the correct size. Works ok if you never have to take them back out. Half of them fell out in the process of getting the assemblies in correctly. Thanks for all the help!:thumbsup: