Headlamps | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Headlamps

I was wondering, after reading all the articles on bulb replacements. I installed the sylvania lamps in my explorer, and after about 2 hours one of them blew up. This left glass everywhere inside my headlamp. I replaced the bulb, but the lamp seems to not produce the amount of light as the passenger's side does. Does anyone have any suggestions? As you know, the headlamp is almost impossible to get inside of, even to replace the bulb!

I also was wondering what bulbs are the best? (as in output) I kinda like the rainbow/blue look, but I desire a more HID look than the Sylvania's. Which is best for the price?

1997 Explorer EB

[Edited by PandaPimp on 07-23-2000 at 01:47 PM]

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was gonna say "dang you should've been here earlier, I was giving away a set of PIAA Superwhite headlight replacements" but then I realized they wouldn't have fit yours anyway since its a 97. I have no experience with Sylvania, mainly with PIAA lights As for one being brighter then the other? Well the fact that a headlight exploded in there could've put crud all over the inside of the headlamp fixture. Or you could have a failin relay, its really tough to say, but my bet would be that the exploding headlight left a bunch of film all over the inside of the headlight fixture which is making it seem less bright. I don't know a good solution for that. If your looking for the HID look, PIAA's I think are pretty cool, not as blue... but a lot whiter then the yellow bulbs. There is also a company out there that makes 9007 HID replacement bulbs... think they run about $300 and people who've installed them have had mixed results. There was a thread over on f150online.com about them a while ago as a lot of people had tried them and only a few were actually impressed with what they got for the cost. PIAA's also get mixed results though... they aren't like adding a driving light into your headlight, they won't be a ton brighter... they are definately brighter though and the light they produce is more white which makes it easier to see. Just one guys opinion :).

Same thing happened to me when I replaced my headlights. Just standard lights but one exploded and ruined my headlamp. It looked awful so I went ahead and replaced the lamp. I got the part from Torrie at Ford Partes Network torrie@fordpartsnetwork.com for $90 and my Ford guy charged me just short of $100 to install it. You might be able to install it yourself. You have to remove the grille and all.

As for the HID replacements, you can't get ANY bulb that will look identical to HID. The closest thing I've seen is the PIAA bulbs, but they arent nearly as intense as the HID. I have real HID in my Lexus and I know how you feel, its actually hard to drive the Explorer at night because I'm so used to them. Real HID doesn't have a traditional bulb, its an arc fueled by a ballast for heach lamp. The entire system CAN be retrofitted to a car without them, but it isnt onroad legal because they wont have an auto levelling system. Also the reflector pattern on HID lamps is different than on regular lamps so you'll have an irratic beam pattern. You'll also lose your high beams. The best thing for you to do if you really want HID is to get some auxilliary lights.

Yeah! I have tried everything, including removing the grill to access some screws, and the light doesn't want to move! I wanted to clean it, but I guess I will have to replace it. You said it was $90.00 to replace it, w/o labor? Ouch!

As for lighting upgrades, I am not too interested in changing the system (due to cost), but rather finding some bulbs that are better than the Sylvania's that are $10.00 each from Auto Zone. I've heard of several brands comparing to PIAA that have worked the same at a fraction of the cost.

The bulb that exploded in my car was a "Wagner BriteLite" you dont want these. That price is actually low, I was quoted $130 from a Ford dealer, I knew Torrie could get me a better price.

I looked at it before I took it in to see if my son and I could do it ourselves but it looked too tricky. According to my Ford guy you have to remove the entire grille, and the turn signal lamp assembly before you can even get to the bolts holding in the headlamp. Then when you're done you gotta align it. I figured it was easier just to let Ford do it. If you can get the lamp off you might be able to clean it out, and save the cost. I dont know if there would be any damage to the lamp assembly or if its just debris and fog inside.

This sort of applies. I was wondering if anyone had replaced their headlight assemblys by themselves. My '95 assemblys are cloudy, and not crystally clear like new ones would be. I'm looking for tips on replacement proceedure, and whether I should stick with OEM or not. Thanks

Jason

deleted

[Edited by PandaPimp on 07-25-2000 at 02:41 PM]

Back