Headlight bulb Literally Exploding | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Headlight bulb Literally Exploding

I have had sets of bulbs burn out and stuff. But this is the first set that I have seen Explode. I bought a set of Nokya headlight bulbs from a local shop here. 5 months after i bought them 1 exploded. Found out they had a 3 month warr. Screw me $35 more dollars for another set. 1 month after I put these in they both explode. Litteraly, blue shards of glass now rest inside my headlamp. I install these with rubber gloves, sure not to touch them. The ones I have bought were Stage 2 bulbs. 100w/120w. Could it be the wattage making them explode? Should I try a lower wattage bulb? I don't see any moisture in the headlight housing. I am stumped and am tired of my blue bulbs blowing up. I hate stock headlight bulbs.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

High watt bulbs dont last long. They create a lot of heat and heat is the enemy of filiments. A harness will help but not much. PIAAs & Silverstars will last a year or so. So thats what I use since changing a bulb is such a PIA.

I thought be a higher wattage would be a problem. I am going to exchange them for a little bit lower wattage set. I think they offer a 80w/100w maybe they will last a bit longer. Thanks. I wasn't for sure they were blowing from the high wattage or not.

wipe the bulbs off before installing them, its possible some of someone elses hand oils got on them during packaging....

If you want "bluer" bulbs, try Eurodezigns (at local shop or eBay for decent price).

They are 55w, I had them in my Jimmy for 3 years. I had one that died after about a year, but they have a lifetime warranty ($5, and you send in your bulbs, and they send you brand new ones). Its a good deal...Buy 2 sets, and when you blow one set, you swap them out, and warranty the old ones.

Do you have a pic of your HID Headlights? Or are they just the blue bulb swap in?

I have the EuroDesignz -- I am happy with them - especially when the brights are on!

-Drew

I use MTEC 80/100 with an upgrade harness. They didn't look so good until I realized that the plugs were dirty and I replaced them. I haven't had the bulbs long, but look good, bright as hell. If they bulbs you had were higher watt bulbs on the stock harness, that could have been a cause. I burned the harness in a previous car I had, but not the bulbs. I did however have a light just fall apart, but not explode before with the new harness. Made me mad because i had a blue piece just rolling around in my housing. So i think quality of the bulb has a major factor and using the appropriate harness. I can't wait to get HIDs though.

White97Jimmy said:
If you want "bluer" bulbs, try Eurodezigns (at local shop or eBay for decent price).

They are 55w, I had them in my Jimmy for 3 years. I had one that died after about a year, but they have a lifetime warranty ($5, and you send in your bulbs, and they send you brand new ones). Its a good deal...Buy 2 sets, and when you blow one set, you swap them out, and warranty the old ones.

how blue are they exactly...and how bright? I see them all over ebay

The EuroDesignz are not ricer blue...I would recommend them for the price. I used them on a few different vehicles now, and you can't beat the price or the lifetime warranty. I have a few extra sets, so if I have to send one set back, I have another set to swap in.

Lightnin- As for pics of my HIDs, look a few threads down, there are pics of the HIDs lit up. EuroDesignz are not as blue as my HIDs. But you can't compare a regular bulb to HID bulbs. I am running actual HIDs, not EuroDesignz "HID look-alike" bulbs.

Back