1. for access to reviews and discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer, Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modification, Events, and more!

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Headlight bulb Literally Exploding

Discussion in 'Performance Lighting' started by lightnin, May 18, 2005.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. lightnin

lightnin New Member

City, State:
      Wooster, AR
      Year and Model:
      1996 XLT
      I have had sets of bulbs burn out and stuff. But this is the first set that I have seen Explode. I bought a set of Nokya headlight bulbs from a local shop here. 5 months after i bought them 1 exploded. Found out they had a 3 month warr. Screw me $35 more dollars for another set. 1 month after I put these in they both explode. Litteraly, blue shards of glass now rest inside my headlamp. I install these with rubber gloves, sure not to touch them. The ones I have bought were Stage 2 bulbs. 100w/120w. Could it be the wattage making them explode? Should I try a lower wattage bulb? I don't see any moisture in the headlight housing. I am stumped and am tired of my blue bulbs blowing up. I hate stock headlight bulbs.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Bill Kemp

Bill Kemp Elite Moderator Emeritus Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Greenville, MI
      Year and Model:
      98 Mountaineer 5.0 AWD
      High watt bulbs dont last long. They create a lot of heat and heat is the enemy of filiments. A harness will help but not much. PIAAs & Silverstars will last a year or so. So thats what I use since changing a bulb is such a PIA.

4. lightnin

lightnin New Member

City, State:
      Wooster, AR
      Year and Model:
      1996 XLT
      I thought be a higher wattage would be a problem. I am going to exchange them for a little bit lower wattage set. I think they offer a 80w/100w maybe they will last a bit longer. Thanks. I wasn't for sure they were blowing from the high wattage or not.

5. jimbo74

jimbo74 Elite Ranger

City, State:
      Nor*Cal
      Year and Model:
      98 XLT Supercab 4x2
      wipe the bulbs off before installing them, its possible some of someone elses hand oils got on them during packaging....

6. White97Jimmy

White97Jimmy Active Member

City, State:
      Detroit, MI
      Year and Model:
      2013 Dodge Charger RT AWD
      If you want "bluer" bulbs, try Eurodezigns (at local shop or eBay for decent price).

They are 55w, I had them in my Jimmy for 3 years. I had one that died after about a year, but they have a lifetime warranty ($5, and you send in your bulbs, and they send you brand new ones). Its a good deal...Buy 2 sets, and when you blow one set, you swap them out, and warranty the old ones.

7. lightnin

lightnin New Member

City, State:
      Wooster, AR
      Year and Model:
      1996 XLT
      Do you have a pic of your HID Headlights? Or are they just the blue bulb swap in?

8. ExplorerDMB

ExplorerDMB Moderator/Technician Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Mechanicsville, Virginia
      Year and Model:
      2004 Acura TL
      I have the EuroDesignz -- I am happy with them - especially when the brights are on!

-Drew

9. DDEBEXP

DDEBEXP Active Member

City, State:
      Duncanville, TX
      Year and Model:
      01 4x4 Eddie Bauer
      I use MTEC 80/100 with an upgrade harness. They didn't look so good until I realized that the plugs were dirty and I replaced them. I haven't had the bulbs long, but look good, bright as hell. If they bulbs you had were higher watt bulbs on the stock harness, that could have been a cause. I burned the harness in a previous car I had, but not the bulbs. I did however have a light just fall apart, but not explode before with the new harness. Made me mad because i had a blue piece just rolling around in my housing. So i think quality of the bulb has a major factor and using the appropriate harness. I can't wait to get HIDs though.

10. Afboy143

Afboy143 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Tampa,FL
      Year and Model:
      1999 Ford Explorer Sport
      how blue are they exactly...and how bright? I see them all over ebay

11. White97Jimmy

White97Jimmy Active Member

City, State:
      Detroit, MI
      Year and Model:
      2013 Dodge Charger RT AWD
      The EuroDesignz are not ricer blue...I would recommend them for the price. I used them on a few different vehicles now, and you can't beat the price or the lifetime warranty. I have a few extra sets, so if I have to send one set back, I have another set to swap in.

Lightnin- As for pics of my HIDs, look a few threads down, there are pics of the HIDs lit up. EuroDesignz are not as blue as my HIDs. But you can't compare a regular bulb to HID bulbs. I am running actual HIDs, not EuroDesignz "HID look-alike" bulbs.