Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Headlight Switch - Help!

Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by DSM56, May 15, 2018.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. DSM56

DSM56 New Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2003 Explorer XLS
      Hi All,

I have a base 4x4 model. No options at all except for maybe the sunroof...

She doesn't have automatic headlights OR fog lights.

I can't seem to find the proper replacement headlight switch. Mine is actually broken into two seperate pieces.

Question - Can I use a headlight switch that has the option of Auto or Fog or both?

I have not been able to determine the exact pinout of the alternate switches to determine if plugging in a switch with either or both of those options would work, just not work, or fry something!

Any help would be very handy!!!

Thanks for looking.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. mbrando1994

mbrando1994 Active Member

2003 Ford Ex XLT
      4.0 V6
      If you haven't yet tried, I'd look for that part at a junkyard. Chances are they'll have one in good shape

4. DSM56

DSM56 New Member

2003 Explorer XLS
      Can't seem to find a plain base model one. Everything I have found so far has either Auto lights or Fog lights, or both.

And, as sensitive as a couple of the electronics seem to be, I did not just want to try it all willy-nilly...

5. mbrando1994

2003 Ford Ex XLT
      4.0 V6
      Pull yours out and take a snap of the connection, if it's the same on ones at the yard, try it out. If the switch has options for fog lamps but the connectors the same, it shouldn't affect anything by logic, it's worth a shot, otherwise try ebay/rockauto/etc

6. DSM56

DSM56 New Member

2003 Explorer XLS
      If I recall correctly, the connectors are the same, it's just a matter of the pinout differences.

Since this feeds back into the instrument cluster, i was concerned about sending power back to the wrong place and frying something.

I guess I'll just try it.

Thanks!

7. mbrando1994

2003 Ford Ex XLT
      4.0 V6
      I would assume the pinout would be the same except where the pins would be for fog and auto lights, would just be empty, not sure if that's the case, you would have to compare them