Dismiss Notice

to Ford Explorer and Ranger owner generated reviews, discussion, tech tips, how to articles, off-road modifications, events, and more! Since 1996 we have been the #1 Ford Explorer resource on the Internet. We also cover the Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer, Lincoln Navigator, Mazda Navajo, Mazda Pickups, and the Aerostar.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Headliner coming apart, how to fix

Discussion in 'Explorer - Ranger Interior Accessories' started by jay1028, March 10, 2017.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. jay1028

jay1028 Active Member

City, State:
      N.E Florida
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1996 XLT V8
      I ordered new headliner from WLS a few days ago. Wanted to get ahead of the game and took down the headliner. No to bad a job and due to the warm weather here in Fla, no plastic pieces broke. Everything came apart faily easy. The T50 seatbelt bolts were hard to initially brake lose due to the thread locker.

Attached are photos. This headliner is made up of layers of fiberglass. The layers are not coming away from the headliner uniformly and I have read that the headliner needs to be smooth and not stratified like it is getting or it will show when you glue down the replacement.

Any ideas on what to do with this mess? Do I really need to have it all perfectly leveled?

[​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      Thanks

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. jay1028

jay1028 Active Member

City, State:
      N.E Florida
      1996 XLT V8
      After 3 hours of scrubbing with a stiff wire brush, got all the old headliner off.

Now how to fix the areas where the fiberglass has come off with old material? Any Suggestions?

[​IMG]

4. jay1028

jay1028 Active Member

City, State:
      N.E Florida
      1996 XLT V8
      Anyone, ideas? I need to finish this job.

5. jay1028

jay1028 Active Member

City, State:
      N.E Florida
      1996 XLT V8
      Finished.
      Got headliner from WLS. Strongly suggest you spend the $17 for an extra can of spray adhesive. The cans of 3M specify three applications of adhesive 5 mins apart. Good thing I ordered two cans because it took all of the first can and 90% of the second can. One can will not do the Explorer. WLS supplies plenty of material, I had 4 feet leftover after trimming. I selected a light blue instead of the stock light gray.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

6. RockRanger

RockRanger Elite Ranger Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Fresno CA
      86 ranger no more
      Callsign:
      KK6TDL
      Looks good. It is amazing how just a clean headliner will cleanup the look of an interior.

7. swshawaii

swshawaii Explorer Addict

City, State:
      Kailua-Oahu, Hawaii
      '05 Sport Trac XLS (RWD)
      Agree, nice work. :chug:

Although, don't understand WHY light blue? :confused:

8. jay1028

jay1028 Active Member

City, State:
      N.E Florida
      1996 XLT V8
      Wanted something different. The colors are not exactly correct from the camera. The visors are the same gray as the plastic trim and not the color in the photo. The headliner is actually closer to gray than blue, like a blue/gray. The green color of the vehicle, Medium Willow, is shown much lighter than it really is. Maybe I should have fixed it all in Photoshop. Shot with a Sony Cybershot.