How to: - Headrest Screen Install | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Headrest Screen Install

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
wow this is great. when i saw this i was going to do it to my explorer. so i went to get my head rest out and look at it. then i realized that i dont have removable headreats. the seat and headrests are one thing lol. but great thread anyway haha

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Could I do this same thing If my seats are bucket (I think thats what they are called, they are all one piece) seats? Could I just cut out a section, and put it in there?

I'm leaning more towards getting it done professionally as I am pretty picky on things being perfect.

There's 2 bars at the top of the bucket seats that prevent larger screens being installed.

You could probably get away with installing screens as big as 5.5", but anything bigger would foul on the bars going across the back of the seat.

Hope this helps

Si

Where did you get the monitors and what kind are they. I am looking to do the same thing.

thanks for the help, I'd like to know what unit you can use as a receiver, I mean what plays the dvd, the unit in the front, thanks again.

My head unit is a Sony XAV 7W I think... it has a 10disc changer that plays the dvds.... the head unit itself only has radio built in.

Si

i see some of the explorers have same style as the mounty's will this still be an issue on the mounty's? i tried to find a blowed up view of the seats but couldnt find any

The write up that I did only applies to the seats with the headrests, not the high backed bucket type seats.....

01032007002.jpg

01032007001.jpg

16042007.jpg

Hope that helps,

Si

If you took the time you could still do this to the high backed seats using methods that he used in the removable head rest.

i know it can be done but i dont want to cut my seat up and it not end up fitting. may just have to cut some of the bars out and re run them dunno it is my daily so the more prepared i am the better. thanks for the quick responses

You would need smaller screens for the high backed chairs as the gap between the 2 bars doesn't allow for a 7" screen. You could have it done in an evening with some careful preparation.

Si

ok thanks i already got the 7" ill see what i can figure out and post if i get it to work and look good

The other issue with the high back chairs is that if you do manage to get a screen between the bars is that they're going to be too low for the back seat passengers to watch comfortably.

Si

Question... New in the forum...Great work man, and plus showing with pictures the work step by step, GREAT .. I have question, new never did before but i have flip down dvd and i need to make connection , which wire and where is the location of the wires , colors , for Mountaineer 2006 ? I have 4 wires coming from DVD , 12+ ,ACC+ ,Ground and Door wire. Please any idea or picture where to find them on Mountaineer 2006. Thnx

Sorry, I did this write up when I was in England, we never had the mountaineer. Your best bet is to ask in the 2006 Explorer section.

Si

So I was kind of hoping to install headrest monitors in my 2nd row seats... Just have no idea how this would be possible?

Any thoughts?

I just bought my Explorer yesterday so I haven't had a chance to really dive in and figure it all out. Has anyone seen 2nd row screens installed?

Thanks in advance!

I do mine differently, I do it by hiding the FRAME underneath the Leather/Cloth, which also holds it in place without having any backing or plate needed to mount it too! I cut the hole a bit smaller than the actual unit, by cuting out in an X-Pattern, insert the frame inside, over lap the leather or cloth over to the inside and cutting off the excess, and press in the LCD unit into the frame which also holds it all in!

Shown below is installed in Cloth:
picture.php

picture.php

I don't like the FRAME around it and it looks clean and 'factory" looking!
This also solves headrests that are really rounded or don't have much of a flat surface to mount and/or smaller, which is hard to make the frame flush the edges nicely, so putting the frame inside solves all the gaps, bulges and formalities!

When I do more next time I'll take more pictures of the entire process!

And they won't fall out, the screens still "clip" into the frame and is also tighter and its all held in just by the leather/cloth itself, no bracing needed! i have done this for a few years now and still this day from almost 10 years they are still perfectly sitting in place the way I installed it!

PS... Don't mind the vehicle its in (non-explorer nor Ford), this was the only pic I could find... heh

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So I was kind of hoping to install headrest monitors in my 2nd row seats... Just have no idea how this would be possible?

Any thoughts?

I just bought my Explorer yesterday so I haven't had a chance to really dive in and figure it all out. Has anyone seen 2nd row screens installed?

Thanks in advance!

You could also get Rosen or Audiovox units that come as a WHOLE headrest with the screens pre-installed, just pop out your factory headrests and pop in the new ones and wire it up! Plus these units have built-in DVD players and Gaming on each unit, so you can literally watch different movies or the same one or play different games! The Audiovox ones also has touchscreen, and comes with a remote thats both a dvd remote and a gaming controller on the backside, and also can play 2 player vs. between the two units! the cost is a bit more, but for all the features and the ability to remove them and put your factory ones back on to resell is awesome! :D

Back