Heated front seats | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Heated front seats

Skywalkerlt5

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Sport,Smoked Quartz
Just picked up our 17 sport a week ago. Really disappointed with the heated seats. Outside edge of of the seat bottom does not heat and after an hour and a half on the highway with the seats on the high setting we never felt the need to reduce the heat setting. Our 16 GMC Sierra gets to hot after 20 min on high and the whole seat bottom heats. Anyone else experience this or do I maybe have a problem?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just picked up our 17 sport a week ago. Really disappointed with the heated seats. Outside edge of of the seat bottom does not heat and after an hour and a half on the highway with the seats on the high setting we never felt the need to reduce the heat setting. Our 16 GMC Sierra gets to hot after 20 min on high and the whole seat bottom heats. Anyone else experience this or do I maybe have a problem?

Nope you just experienced the difference between Ford and GMC heated seats.

Mine do the exact same thing, we had a 13 GMC Acadia Denali previously and seats were much hotter.

Its kinda like the seats only really have leather inserts on those same areas the rest is vinyl to save money.

I've noticed the same thing regarding the outer edge but as for the actual seat bottom, I find the full heat (3 Bars) is too much and usually reduce it to the 1 bar.

Peter

Thanks for the replies. Guess I better just suck it up and live with it!

Lear makes the seats for Ford....send them an email asking why the Ford heat pads dont work as well.

The Explorer doesn't use the traditional heating elements, but instead uses a blower that distributes heat and a/c.

The Explorer doesn't use the traditional heating elements, but instead uses a blower that distributes heat and a/c.
According to the Component Location thread for 2011 - 2015 models in the List of Useful Threads there is an item labeled as "Seat cushion heater mat".

Peter

According to the Component Location thread for 2011 - 2015 models in the List of Useful Threads there is an item labeled as "Seat cushion heater mat".

Peter
Not much info can be found directly related to Explorers, but I found reference from the F series trucks.
The system is called a TED (thermo electric device).

acfd6e6a-9185-1033-b743-4c3114d2dee3.jpg

Thats really weird because I held the heat mat in my hand when we were looking the design of the Police seat with people from Lear.

The Cool Seat blower system was only activated when A/C cool seats was activated.

Thats why the seats only push the cool air if the interior ambient cabin temp is cool. Whatever the inside of the vehicle is that's what gets pushed through the ventilated seats.

Lear is now going to this new tech.

http://www.lear.com/Site/Products/Seating/

Looks like F150 might be supplied by another seat maker.

http://www.faurecia.com/en/about-us/automotive-seating

I've noticed the same thing regarding the outer edge but as for the actual seat bottom, I find the full heat (3 Bars) is too much and usually reduce it to the 1 bar.

Peter
Im with you Peter. 1 bar keeps us just right. Also agree with the other poster that commented on the GM seats. I like them better.

I find the heat in the seats in my Sport perfect. I usually start at three, and end at one during my 25 minute commute to work. The heated seats in my wife's 13' Edge get wayyy too hot for my rear. I don't even start at the three setting. I go straight to one, and even then I have to turn that off after 10 minutes or I'll start sweating.

I am definitely not a fan of the Ford seats. I think we had a discussion about them previously...
Anyone with another vehicle with heated and cooled seats care to offer a comparison to the Ford seats? I know our BMW seats are hot befor eI get out of my subdivision and the Explorer seats are barely warm after 5 minutes, comfortable after 10, and if the temperature outside is below about 20 deg. F I usually leave them on high. The BMW does not have cooling. Honestly, I can't tell that the Ford is cooling my seat but my passengers seem to like it, so maybe something is not working correctly on the drivers seat.

My boss has a 2016 Kia Sorento and his seats are barely warm after 10-15 minutes on high setting. My Explorer seats are burning hot after as little as 5 minutes and I've got to turn it down a notch or two. 10 minutes if it's below freezing outside temp.

I test drove a '17 Acadia Denali before buying my Explorer. The seats were much nicer in the Acadia. Heated and cooled far better. I just had to have the big motor in my Ex Sport.

I have zero complaints about the heated/cooled seats or heated steering wheel in my '16 Explorer Limited. In just the 5 minutes that I prestart the car in the house before walking outside when it's in the mid/low 40s (hasn't gotten colder than that yet in S. AZ) the seats and steering wheel are already warm. Even without prestarting the car, turning the heated seats on 3 (highest) gets WAY too hot in 5 minutes, usually turning it down to low within 10 minutes. I love the steering wheel warmth, even on just slightly cool days, as my arthritis isn't nearly as bad holding that hot wheel.

No complaints about the heat. My only feeling is they are too hot. I find the single bar is overkill for me...

Would have preferred more leg support from the seats, but otherwise far more comfortable than my Accord.

I just traded in a 2015 GMC Sierra for a 2017 Explorer Sport a week ago. Both vehicles have heated seats and heated steering wheel. In my opinion both the heated steering wheel and front seats are MUCH better in the Explorer Sport. Steering wheel is much warmer, and gets warm quicker than it did in the Sierra. The heated seats in the Explorer are, to me, great. Get very warm very quickly. Love how I can turn car off and park somewhere, and when I return and start car the heated steering wheel and seat come on right at the level I left them at when I parked. No complaints so far from me.

I just traded in a 2015 GMC Sierra for a 2017 Explorer Sport a week ago. Both vehicles have heated seats and heated steering wheel. In my opinion both the heated steering wheel and front seats are MUCH better in the Explorer Sport. Steering wheel is much warmer, and gets warm quicker than it did in the Sierra. The heated seats in the Explorer are, to me, great. Get very warm very quickly. Love how I can turn car off and park somewhere, and when I return and start car the heated steering wheel and seat come on right at the level I left them at when I parked. No complaints so far from me.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:

Peter

Thanks for the replies. Guess I better just suck it up and live with it!
I have had the same issue. Sometimes they work and I have to turn them down sometimes they are luke warm. Pretty crappy when you've spent that much money on a car and the best they can come up with is "that's how it is." I am driving a sport loaner now and the seats work great. They have replaced the module twice and nothing changes. My husband's F350 2017 has the same seats and they work great (must turn off 3 after a bit). It has been in the shop for a total of 5 weeks - going on 6.5 now. So frustrating.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I like my seats but the 3 gets too warm for me. 1 works really well.

Back