Heated seat kits installed - NICE! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Heated seat kits installed - NICE!

rwenzing

Reaction score
City, State
Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 Ranger FX4 LII 5.0 S/C
The factory Ranger buckets are really very good seats but I've always wanted seat heaters like the high end Explorers have. As with just about anything else, there are several vendors on eBay who offer heated seat conversions.

I finished converting mine recently, just in time for some cold weather. They work great and, other than wrestling with disassembling the seats, the install wasn't difficult.

The kits I chose are sold by Cobraheat LLC. Each includes 2 heating elements (enough for one seat cushion and one back). I ordered two kits and they arrived promptly by Priority Mail.

A nice feature is that the elements, switch and relay for each seat are prewired in a harness with connectors where you need them and enough wire to satisfy just about any front seat installation. There are only 2 wires for each seat, a hot and a ground, to connect to the vehicle's electrical system. As with any automotive circuit, the wiring for the seat heaters must be properly fused. No fuses are included, so that part of the installation is left to the ingenuity of the buyer.

bo1SdQPQtfquYAK2kZmLbPOj8SrOKd26TJE31ExAyT2B1M1fC42Ccx5m5IEipMAoVOZ2L6bmxOF8C0Qfkx9usknofUyid9sdTZVVrGWAKWg

The switches can be installed on any flat surface where there is adequate clearance for the back of the switch and its wires. Since they are round, the basic holes can be drilled. I used a step drill to take each hole out to 3/4" (19mm), then filed it out the rest of the way for a snug fit on the 20mm switch body.

In this picture, the two switches are in the front corners of the center console right below where it meets the dash.

mJWoDmcJU8KiGnT4GY8t2P6lo0PjKIC4nTwWHhzyQqiSstR6xDJ3xWjFMLmHjvMpO7_x3HeI4yoxoH2KciMnvSXvzKfJNdUHuGVjsfsBukx_WKBvgR7lGPeY9cRc_xUw

In use, the switch has 2 heating positions with a center off. The indicator LED illuminates red for high and green for low.

LarYUIRTufJxsGGWxkw_60Nw62HsuwDlAVXmsVMZTkEFcY-Rq4AUmMJlCYu0xmHSeePebbvhgTagPpeaYWGjbUf661oy-XlAFToFaW6Xw4vb-s8lZz5qIplAIqaOtKo3

u1p1jq9AG1VufB-xnK0QeKvShDy_ACRP4I65wz0Bh2wh5EFM-n4dbdiD1vs_mnj8EO5oMefEjIEGCmaOVv-i4HcfRmON-n8gyi6zVPaq3nS5nFMFbFsppAtEn4E1SymD

The heating mats are very thin and go between the seat fabric and its foam support. In the Ranger seats, they are exactly the right width to fit under the blue center panels between the junctions where the side bolsters meet. The wiring was simple and the switches easy to install. Taking the seats apart to install the heating elements was the hardest part.

csMz1xXxnD-LgogDUex7lYNb7Dww8TMUWMsBdP4L9DUwAuUfCpZok0TsWgeVJ6gd-XRmUhAJkjF3xk9AeMA7BFFPuV-BEGfxPiMfM6KOwmg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Very nice, and just in time!

Are they universal fit? How much would you estimate in labor costs to have them installed? That is very nice! How soon do they heat up?

Are they universal fit? How much would you estimate in labor costs to have them installed? That is very nice! How soon do they heat up?
They are universal and can be shortened in length if necessary but cannot be narrowed. I don't know how much labor would be. I'm sure it varies with temperature but, in the 30's F, they begin to warm within a couple of minutes.

Wow, bob!! Nice job!!

Very clean install, I really like the placement of the switches :thumbsup:

$62.50 is a REALLY good price, I paid $90 per seat and mine don't have the lit switch.

I'm sure fabric seats heat up faster than leather.

$62.50 is a REALLY good price, I paid $90 per seat and mine don't have the lit switch.
As of right now, each heater kit is $62.50 with free Priority Mail shipping. Last winter the same kits were $75 each - I don't have any idea if they will return to the higher price as the weather gets colder.

The ultimate deal is the "buy 3 get 1 free" for $187.50 shipped. Less than $50 per seat. Perfect if you have 4 seats to heat or want to split an order with a friend.

Awesome mod, I know someone who did this on a Crown Vic but the seats were thicker and it didn't work as well. Very nice.

Oh, and is that an Explorer rear A/C console? How difficult was that to install on a vehicle that didn't come with it?

Nice mod, I might do this since I have a 5 speed and dont want to do a RS. I could just wire the seat heater to my remote :D

Looks like i have another mod in the list lol, the leather seats are in need of some heat for the winter.

Oh, and is that an Explorer rear A/C console? How difficult was that to install on a vehicle that didn't come with it?
The front bolts to the dash easily but the intermediate and rear mounts weren't there. Had to improvise those. Since I don't need them in the Ranger, my console does not have working internals for the rear HVAC.

Here's a thread about swapping the long console into an Explorer:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=200398

My butt will remain cold, as my wallet isn't thick enough to justify doing this. Great job though, love the position of the switches.

The front bolts to the dash easily but the intermediate and rear mounts weren't there. Had to improvise those. Since I don't need them in the Ranger, my console does not have working internals for the rear HVAC.

Here's a thread about swapping the long console into an Explorer:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=200398

Ah, I see. If I did it, I would also look into making the rear A/C vents functional. Interesting to know, though.

Bob, how hard was it to get the bottom seat cover off the frame? I need to re-pad my seats- the seatbacks look fairly easy, but the bottoms look harder because of the retainer clip thingies that hold the leather/fabric stretched to the frame... Any tips?

Do they turn off on a timer or do you have to maually turn them off? The factory heated seats in my LS turn off automatically after like 15 minutes.

Mine supposedly have a pressure switch in the heating element in addition to the normal switch. If no one's sitting there, it won't heat up.

No timer. I doubt this brand has a timer either.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks Bob, I think you just found the wife's Christmas gift - leather seats get chilly in Sasquatch Country!

Back