Heated Seat Lumbar only

Perry Anderson

Reaction score
City, State
Hubbard, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer EB 4.6L
Good morning all,
I was curious if anyone could shed some light on this for me.

I just purchased 06 Explorer that was well maintained....trying to fix all the little issues that it came with. The heated seat on the driver's side did not work at all (passenger side is OK). I pulled the seat and repaired a broken wire in the seat pad that fed into the thermostat.

After this repair continuity tested fine and I reinstalled seat. Now the lumbar pad works (maybe a little hot...) and I feel no heat in seat. I was under the assumption that it was all or nothing with these seats...meaning it wasn't possible for the seat/lumbar to work without the other.

Is it possible I missed a break in the seat? No other burn marks noted....

Thanks!

Just an FYI for anyone else who might have a similar issue. The heat and lumbar elements were not wired in series. The seat element was in fact bad.

A side effect of the broken seat element was that the lumbar would get excessively hot and cycle itself off. I assume this is because it received more voltage than it was supposed to.

The repair was that I ordered a universal carbon fiber set on eBay for about $13.00. As long as proper voltage is supplied to the seat you do NOT need a kit with the switches, harnesses etc. Simply teat apart the seat and splice the new wire harness into the factory one.

The nice thing about the universal kit is that it is large enough to add hear to the thigh area as well!

Good luck hope this helps someone!

Back