and gain access to Reviews and Discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modifications and Events, Street Truck Mods and Events, and much more! Since 1996 our community has covered every aspect of the Ford Explorer, Ford Ranger and all vehicles based on this platform.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Heater Barely Heating and Temperature Gauge Going Up and Down

Discussion in 'Explorer, Ranger, A/C & Heater systems HVAC' started by migar95gt, February 20, 2010.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. migar95gt

migar95gt New Member

City, State:
      Georgia
      Year and Model:
      1999 Eddie Bauer V8
      Not sure if this is a Heater problem or an engine cooling system problem, but I think there is a connection and I’ve been searching the forum for a while and can’t find an answer. My heater blows only warm air, not hot like it should. I can turn the temperature to cool and the A/C works just fine and blows very cold air. Turn it back to warm and still only blows warm, not Hot air like it used to.
      So here’s my truck and the symptoms. I have a 96 Explorer with about 317000 miles. Last summer while at the beach I noticed the temperature gauge starting to move up and down. Normally it would sit around the “O” on “NORMAL”. It would slowly move from there up to between the “A” and “L” and then quickly drop back down to the “O”. It would stay there for a few minutes and then slowly move back up again. It would repeat this over and over, no matter how fast or slow I drove, and no matter if I was in traffic or not. I assumed it was a cooling system related problem, so when I got home, I flushed the system and changed the thermostat. Still the same thing. I took the radiator out and hosed it out good, put in another thermostat and changed the radiator hoses and serpentine belt. Still the same thing. I took the thermostat out completely. The temperature gauge stayed in the lower range all the time. No more moving up and down. So I left it like that until this past fall when it started getting chilly and we needed some heat. I put another new thermostat back in and the temp gauge started doing the same thing again. But now the heater doesn’t blow very hot air. He A/C works just fine. The blend door actuator sounds to be working OK, but I have not opened the enclosure up to check the door. I also noticed a few days ago that as the temperature gauge goes up, the air from the vents gets warmer, then as the gauge drops back down, the air becomes less warm. I have used only Stant thermostat and was careful to get the bleed-by hole positioned correctly.

Any thoughts?
      Thanks,
      Mike

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. gmanpaint

gmanpaint Torsion Bar Free Elite Explorer

City, State:
      STL MO
      Year and Model:
      94 XLT-95 FX4
      Heater core on the way out. Not a fun job on a 2nd gen from what I'm told.

4. snoranger

snoranger Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Jackson, NJ
      Year and Model:
      94 limited on 35's
      Sounds like low flow from the waterpump. Has it ever been replaced or is it original?

5. Allmost 50

Allmost 50 New Member

City, State:
      Auburn Alabama
      Year and Model:
      04 Explorer XLS
      With that many miles I guessing "head gasket". The compression leaking into the cooling system will block water flow allowing the radiator to get cooler then when the water does flow the temp gage will drop out. When it's up to operating temp. look inside the plastic coolant jug for 3 minutes while it's ideling. Do you see air bubbles? Bubbles not good.

6. migar95gt

migar95gt New Member

City, State:
      Georgia
      Year and Model:
      1999 Eddie Bauer V8
      Thanks guys.
      I can see where any of these 3 could cause one or the other of my problems, but do you think the problems are related, or just coincidence.
      And I think I replaced the water pump about 100000 miles ago.