1. for access to Ford Explorer and Ranger owner generated reviews and discussion, tech tips, how to articles, off-road modifications, events, and more! Since 1996 we have been the #1 Ford Explorer resource on the Internet. We also cover the Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer, Lincoln Navigator, Mazda Navajo, Mazda Pickups, and the Aerostar.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

heater doesn't always blow hot air

Discussion in 'General Explorations!!' started by dondiesel444, December 22, 2002.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. dondiesel444

dondiesel444 Active Member

City, State:
      Upstate New York
      Year and Model:
      2005 4.0L 4x4 XLT
      OK here's a new problem for me to try and fix on the wife's X. At first I thought it was her imagination, but I have experienced it. The heater doesn't always blow hot air. Sometimes she can drive to work, about 20 miles, leave it on full blast, and it won't get hot, a little warm thats all. But sometimes it will blow hot like it should and burn my hand. I have checked the anti-freeze, the resivior tank is full. I don't see any leaks, the only thing I can think of is maybe there is a restriction somwhere?? Any ideas of what I should check, is this a common X problem, hopefully with an easy fix?? Thanks in advance guys.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Robb

Robb Explorer Addict

Sounds to me like your heater control valve may be sticking sometimes. It is the valve that contols how much water flows through your heater core.

Where exactly it is or how to locate it exactly on an X, I am unsure of. Never had to look at one. I am sure someone else here can easily tell you.

Robb

4. VOATMJ1

VOATMJ1 Active Member

City, State:
      Southwest, Iowa
      Year and Model:
      '00 Sport 4X4
      Your thermostat could be malfunctioning as well. Check the temp gage the next time it blows luke warm and then check it when it is burning your hand. If it reads the same temp each time, then you can rule out the stat.

5. dondiesel444

City, State:
      Upstate New York
      Year and Model:
      2005 4.0L 4x4 XLT
      thanks guys, I will keep an eye on the thermostat, we are going out tonight so I will check it then.

can anyone else tell me how to check my heater control valve??

6. Opera House

Opera House Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Cincinnati, OH
      Year and Model:
      2014 Explorer 3.5L base
      Maybe blend door

Mine acted funny for about six months. I thought I was imagining things too. I have strong doubts about those other possible problems. Search blend door. I posted "Blend door, so you're cold, cheap and lazy." Cutting a hole is the only way to know if you have the problem. Mine still moves sometimes on its own power even though it is cracked at the actuator.

7. Ky-Judge

Ky-Judge New Member

City, State:
      Belfry, KY
      Year and Model:
      '94 Explorer EB
      My '94 EB has a water control valve that is malfunctioning. It is in the line where the heater lines go thru rhe firewall and it has a vacuum line attached to it, what i did was unhook the vacuum line and plug it off in the winter and in the spring i hook it back up so that no hot water flows into the heater core. Try this and see if it works for you before buying a new water control valve.

8. RTStork

RTStork Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Grand Bay, AL
      Year and Model:
      99 Explorer XLT 5.0L 2WD
      Are you losing any coolant? A bad heater core can cause your "no heat" problem. A bad head gasket can also.

9. dondiesel444

City, State:
      Upstate New York
      Year and Model:
      2005 4.0L 4x4 XLT
      I think I fixed THIS problem, I hope. I took of the vaccum line to heater control valve, then pushed it on, it was loose. Either that or the valve is sticking. The heat worked good all day I had the X, my wife took my truck to work so I could wrok on the mysterious self-unlocking door problem. I am not loosing coolant, I think it was a slight vaccum leak or the valve is sticking a bit. Thanks for the help guys!!

10. daniel cauchon

daniel cauchon Active Member

City, State:
      Terrebonne,Province of Quebec
      Year and Model:
      1995 Explorer Limited
      you might as well change the heater control valve cause they are not very good ! all plastic and leak is the favourite passtime !! it takes 10 minutes to do and very easy and cheap too...over here in Canada it`s 40$ . I just change mine and it`s great since then.