Heater Fan Resistor Pack | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Heater Fan Resistor Pack

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd love to see a picture too. Did anyone ever find a part number? My '91 Explorer is only blowing at full blast. Thanks guys...

Surges!

My 94 ford explorer sport surges a little bit when the engine is running while in Park and at a complete stop. It really starts to surge when I reach 35 miles per hour and then it keeps doing it while I am driving. Is this a vacuum leak? :scratch:

Resistor pack/blower failure.

I have not had these problems on my explorer but had similar problems on my Taurus. After replacing the resistor pack twice in a yr I decided to try to figure out the cause. Removing the blower I found it to contain water and was fairly heavily rusted in places. Obviously the high load the rusted blower was putting on the resistor pack was causing them to blow. It appears that leaves and other debris building up under the cowling above the hood causes water to build up and get into the heater vents. Without cleaning this crap out the problem is likely to recur. I ended up fitting a new motor and resistor pack and now I'm good.

hey guys, i have a 98 explorer 4x4 ''Limited'' and my fan only worked on high too, it was the resisiter, and it is located under the hood below the fan motor at the bottom of the plenum box. I got 1 out of the crapyard, it was free but worked the same so i had to buy 1 at the Ford dealership(only place i could get it), it was $110, but the fan works great now.

Bill

i guess thats what u pay for having a ''limited''. But i love it!

Bill

UK Explorer heater problem.

Can anyone help, my heater fan also only works on setting 4, but as the car is right hand drive, and the bonnet layout is different I cannot see the resistor pack everyone talks about. The car is a 1998 Explorer.

The resistor is under the fan motor under the hood.

Was curious if anyone could shed some light on a blower issue I am having myself. I do not have a wire tester/voltage meter.

1) New blower motor and resistor and relay installed

2) Blower works off battery

3) Blower does not work otherwise.

4) When cycling switch (I have manual heat a/c), I can hear relay click between the 3 and 4 setting only.

5) Removed radio bezel and switches and am able to get relay to click in all positions with a jumper wire, but cannot get fan to spin.

6) Previous relay did have a burnt up plug on it. Previous motor did not jump off battery. Previous resistor was very rusty.

Is this the switch or is there an issue between the relay and the motor? The wires and connectors look like they are in good condition.

Any ideas?

Thank you in advance

I did not. My manual shows a fuse is the fuse box on the drivers side of the dash by the door as well as the main box under hood on drivers side. Also showing a relay in a junction box behind passenger headlight under hood (this is where the clicking is coming from).

I have never seen fuses near the parking brake but I'll look.

For reference, my fuse is listed as # 6 and is a 7.5 Amp. The under hood is a 50 Amp and if memory serves me correctly it is in position 9.

1997 Mountaineer V8, there were some variances in the fuse panel design year over year from what I have gathered.

Sorry... my bad... I was listing the fuse panel for (91-94)...

I have searched the whole area around the fan and still cant find the resistor, the car is right hand drive and so the fan is on the left side of the bulkhead (when viewed from the rear). I've looked at both sides of the engine bay and still no sign of the unit.

This video was quite helpful in showing where the resistor is in the 95-01 Explorer.

I just replaced mine ($130) and it worked for about 5 minutes. I suspect the problem I have goes deeper than just the resistor. I think something else is the root of the problem and is frying the resistor within minutes of installing the new one.

Any ideas where I might look next?

Check your relay that supplies power to the resistor. Located behind passenger side headlight in a long narrow box mounted along side of the engine. My ground wire wiggled itself loose and was supplying intermittent power to the motor. Pull the relays and look for burnt spots on the prongs. Also, might be worth checking to see that your fan switch on the dash is working properly. A multi-meter will help a lot in tracing shorts and/or lack of power.

European explorer

All the threads for the heater resistor pack are for US models, the resistor is not on the A/C condenser or anywhere else under the bonnet as far as I can see, does anyone know where it may be on a right hand drive model???

Dick, I can't help you as I have US model, but for everyone else out there I would like to share my story. Fan worked intermittently. I replaced switch, same results. I replaced relay, same results. As I was replacing resistor pack I accidentally left my ignition on, fan on setting 2 as I was replacing resistor pack. Fan kick on I switched the fan speeds all worked well. I shut off fan at control panel. Turned of the ignition, and I continued to install the resistor pack. Put the cruise control box back into it's place. Started engine. Turned switch to fan & nothing again. I replaced the wiring harness plug end. All works like new. It was a bit of corrosion at resistor pack & wiring harness that was the culprit in the first place. $40.00 could have fixed mine but spent 2X that instead. So in recap, if it works intermittently on all speeds, replace resistor pack & wiring harness plug end. Your problem should be resolved.

Back