Heating / AC Shuts Down After 5 Minutes | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Heating / AC Shuts Down After 5 Minutes

Holly Nyce

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer XLT
Hello, my heat and AC will work for about 5 minutes, and then it completely shuts off. No air blows out, hot or cold. Goes completely dead. I have a 2011 Explorer XLT. Help?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum Holly.:wave:
I'm guessing that is the case whether the system is on Auto or Manual. Is that right? None of the climate control 'buttons' work including the fan?
Haven't come across an issue like this here before.

Peter

All controls work - I can adjust the heat to high, and low, I can put on AUTO, I can turn it to heat, or AC - but no air blows out of vents. At all. Dead silence. The rear ac/heat doesn't blow either.

All controls work - I can adjust the heat to high, and low, I can put on AUTO, I can turn it to heat, or AC - but no air blows out of vents. At all. Dead silence. The rear ac/heat doesn't blow either.
I would then suspect that the blower motor (fan) wasn't working but you say that when you start the Explorer everything is fine for about 5 minutes and then stops. That seems to eliminate a blown fuse. I don't know if the fan motor has a thermal cut-off in case of overheating.
Fuse #46 in the cabin fuse panel is for the Climate Control Module but I don't know if that would be the problem.

Peter

I would then suspect that the blower motor (fan) wasn't working but you say that when you start the Explorer everything is fine for about 5 minutes and then stops. That seems to eliminate a blown fuse. I don't know if the fan motor has a thermal cut-off in case of overheating.

Peter
That's my guess too - but wondered, could it be that since it does come on, and then cut out. I guess I'll start with fixing that. Do you know where it is located? Couldn't find anything on youtube about it in a 2011.

That's my guess too - but wondered, could it be that since it does come on, and then cut out. I guess I'll start with fixing that. Do you know where it is located? Couldn't find anything on youtube about it in a 2011.
I updated my prior post.

Back