Hello have a 94 Ranger giving me fits | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hello have a 94 Ranger giving me fits

Darrell Carter

Reaction score
City, State
Elberta, Al
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ranger XL 4wd
that's what brought me to this forum, trying to find an answer. The truck will crank up and run fine and then when she is shut down will not restart. The engine will spin over really fast as if she is almost cranking but not getting enough fuel to run. Let it sit for a few hours and cranks right up.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome, which engine does it have? Is it giving any codes?

check the fuel pressure when it is hot.
roscoe

and no check engine light on and don't have a code reader

Don't need a code reader for a pre 95, just a paper clip or short piece of wire. There's a how-to thread in the useful threads section.

Engine spins really fast but not enough? Now engine won't crank? I may be reading this wrong, but maybe it's a battery, battery cables, or starter problem.

Battery is new and cables all reworked and starter is very strong. It seems more like a sensor gone bad to me, just not sure which one. Or possibly an intermittent short.

Or ignition switch .Or starter relay.

Crank sensor

I know if you unplug the crank sensor it will crank but no start on the shoc not sure about ohv but I would test it only takes a few min

If it will not even turn over start with the starter and work your way back
Starter
stArter relay
Ignition switch
All easy to test with a volt ohm meter
Was the cel on if so get the codes
Check ground straps on back of engine to firewall and on Starter

if it has been turning over and all of a sudden it won't check starter wire to both relays the one on the fender skirt and the one on the starter.
roscoe

engine turns over fine. Has a new battery and cables, solenoid is good and so is starter. No problems in the starting system. Replaced the crank sensor located on the front of the passenger side of the block just behind the harmonic balancer. The truck cranked right up and ran great. Went around town and died again at Harbor Freight. Still turns over very strong when you hit the starter - just won't crank. Tired of being towed home though.

Back