1. to Ford Explorer and Ranger owner generated reviews, discussion, tech tips, how to articles, off-road modifications, events, and more! Since 1996 we have been the #1 Ford Explorer resource on the Internet. We also cover the Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer, Lincoln Navigator, Mazda Navajo, Mazda Pickups, and the Aerostar.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Dismiss Notice

HELP! 04 4.0 Rough idle/ Misfire?

Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by NE2004elpXLT, September 20, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. NE2004elpXLT

NE2004elpXLT Guest

I have a 2004 Explorer XLT Sport with a 4.0 V6. I recently did a bunch of work on it including:

replaced front differential fluid w/ Mobil 1
      replaced transfer case fluid w/ Mobil 1
      replaced rear differential fluid w/ Mobil !
      new Motorcraft air filter
      ATTEMPTED to replace fuel filter without success
      flushed and filled coolant
      new Motorcraft Plugs and Wires

It was running like new for the first 100 miles or so, now it idles rough, stutters when accelerating from idle, and the "service engine soon" light came on.

I scanned the OBD II computer and it came back with:

P0171 Bank 1 system too lean
      P0174 Bank 2 system too lean
      P0300 Random multiple misfire detected
      P0316 Misfire on start up

Anyone have any ideas? I don't know where to start. Thanks!
    2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. matt0248

matt0248 Active Member

July 12, 2010
      City, State:
      Year and Model:
      02 XLT V8
      does it get better after it warms up? sure sounds like leaking intake manifold gaskets to me.