Help-1354 Auto to Manual- Wiring to make the lights work | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help-1354 Auto to Manual- Wiring to make the lights work

Kirby N.

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Colorado Springs, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Ranger
I got my manual 1354 in, and I am only dealing with shift boot problems now (minor). I am still trying to figure out how to make the lights on the dash work. I have the wiring for the manual from the tcase to where it plugs in on the fender, but I can't find where it plugs in. Any body help? Anybody make the wiring work??

It had a auto tranny and an auto electronic tcase from the factory. I swapped both for manuals.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't know if trucks with auto transfer cases came prewired for the 4x4 lights, I would assume they would. Do first gen's have 4x4 lights in the dash or is it just in the switch? I don't remember. If there is wiring try looking for it back by the 4x4 computer if it's going to plug in anywhere it'd probably be there. It probably wouldn't be to hard to wire up the lights yourself it's pretty simple. Also from personal experience, I've had a manual t-case for a while now and I've never worried about having the lights hooked up, it's easy to tell what you've selected while you're shifting it.

Yes, I agree with you, but I would like to have it wired so it is like factory. I took the hole dash apartand I cannot find two blue wires. I have the wiring now for sure, I just don't think it is pre wired. I think the B2s and early rangers were though, from what I have found. Thanks doug.

I think I am going to take apart the old wiring for the auto 4x4.

I may be wrong, but I would say the lights on the dash were controlled by the 4X computer that also operated the electric shift motor.If the shift motor is not installed how does the computer know what gear the Tc is in?

I don't know. I am currently using the Ranger station diagrams to figure out which wires that go into the instrument cluster control the lights. It looks to me like it is the Dark blue with a black stripe and the brown with a white stripe. I am thinking that if I hook my wires off the sensor into those wires it will make it work???

it has been awhile since I did my conversion but I thought I had just a bundle of wires that went to the shift motor and a speedometer cable and some sort of a movement sensor that connected by the speedometer cable?

Ok I figured it out. Thanks for everyones help. Basically, the Auto and manual Tcase harnesses are different and you can't just plug it in. However, you can splice in the sensor.

There is a big plug directly in front of the console. The wires going in to this plug under the carpet. The wires that come out of this plug go up into the wiring harness in the dash. Look for two wires:

Low is the Brown wire with a white stripe. It goes into the plug as one wire, but comes out as two brown wires with a white stripe. One of these wires goes to the switch in the dash the other goes up to the little light next to the button. You want to cut this wire before the plug and splice in one of your blue wires from the sensor (I forget which is the low indicator).

For the 4x4 light, look for a wire that is grey going into the plug, but comes out in two wires that are blue and grey. These do the same thing. One to the light on the dash (blue) and one to the one next to the button (Grey). You want to cut the wire before the plug and splice in one of the senso wires again I don't remeber which one.

Viola- they work!

I have to go finish mine. Thanks for the help.

Kirby

Also on the 4x4 computer on the 5-wire harness, ground pin 5 for 4x4 lights in the switch and on the dash, and ground pin 4 for low range lights.

Thanks Kirby! I spliced those grey and brown/white wires from in front of the shift boot(with a standard trans) to the wires on the t-case sensor . Now the lights work when I shift it on the floor.

Nice! Old thread lives I guess...

Back