[HELP] 1997 Mercury Mountaineer 5.0 Cracked Headers | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

[HELP] 1997 Mercury Mountaineer 5.0 Cracked Headers

Camacorn

Reaction score
City, State
Inverness, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Mountaineer 5.0 H.O.
Ever since I've purchased my 1997 Mercury Mountaineer, it has had a ticking noise due to the common cracked headers. I want to purchase a new set to get rid of the ticking noise, but all I can find in parts stores is the OEM set, which even brand new, look like complete garbage:

iH4rKxyl.jpg

( This set is not new, just an example image )

My question is, is there a different set of headers I can use that aren't made SO cheaply, and are relatively affordable? And would fit without modification if possible.

Any help at this point would be appreciated, as recently my muffler got cracked in half, so I need to replace pretty much the entire exhaust setup, but I'm not looking to get crazy with it, not rich by any means.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Use the later cast iron manifolds. They flow a little better, and are less prone to cracking. I have a set, and they only cost $50 at a salvage yard. Go to car-part.com and you can find a set locally without calling every yard in your vicinity. Mine are for sale if you can't find a decent pair.

Depends though on if you have the p heads or not. Non p heads may not allow spark plug fitment with the later manifolds. If you have an egr tube on the passenger side header, then use the later cast manifolds.

They fit either way, im running the early style manifolds with p heads and external egr, and as far as cracking I have found they both crack so my choice was to go with the easyer to weld early style, at least until I get my hands on a set of TM headers

I need to replace my passenger side, but Im dreading doing it. Im either leaving it or paying a shop to do the install.

Anybody have any links to where I can purchase the later model headers? Or even a good aftermarket set, on the cheap.

Thanks for the help!

Use the later cast iron manifolds. They flow a little better, and are less prone to cracking. I have a set, and they only cost $50 at a salvage yard. Go to car-part.com and you can find a set locally without calling every yard in your vicinity. Mine are for sale if you can't find a decent pair.

I assure you, the new ones crack as well :mad:

Rockauto.com has always worked well for me, and if you use them you don't have to risk the set you get from a junkyard being crap (they sell new and remanufactured parts).

I think theres even an explorer forum discount code floating around this site somewhere? or was that my other forum, idr.

Back