Help! brake lights are not working and fuse keeps blowing. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help! brake lights are not working and fuse keeps blowing.

RMFT13

Reaction score
City, State
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer Sport
I replaced my factory radio with an aftermarket unit. The brake lights havent worked since then. I've been through two wiring harnessess and grounded to the chassis on one end and to the back of the radio on the other end. I finally have taken the aftermarket unit out and reinstalled the factory radio BUT the same things keeps happening. The #13 fuse blows every time I hook the battery back up after I replace it. This is a 1999 Ford Explorer Sport 4.0L manual transmission (pushrod). I know it's something I'm overlooking if anybody would be kind enough to point it out for me I'd appreciate it. I deliver pizza as a 2nd job and it's very unsafe for me to be driving around without brake lights.

You have a direct short to ground. Disconnect any wires you attached to ground, and to your new radio. Get a multi meter, check all the wires. See if you are still blowing fuses. Someway or another, you have tapped into the brake light, or any other system attached to the fuse circuit. In short, undo any wiring you changed, and start over.

Back