Help - Electric Windows and Tcase inoperative | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help - Electric Windows and Tcase inoperative

GJarrett

Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Chief GPS'um and Still Lost Native Texan
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 EB 4x4 "Herc" RIP
Electrical issues: we had tropical storm Cindy dump about a half-foot of rain on us a couple of days ago and that may have caused my problem.... I hit some DEEP water a time or two while driving at speed and jammed a lot of water pressure up under my Explorer. I do not know if the following two issues are a result, or just coincidence.

All four of my windows and my power moonroof now do not work. They are all on the same circuit; fuse #5 under the hood. The fuse is good and a circuit tester confirmed that there is power going to the fuse, so the problem is somewhere after the fusebox and before all the different windows and moonroof get their individual wires routed separately. Also my tcase started the "flash six times" error on my 4wd lights and it will not engage the shift motor to change between 4 low and 4 high. Coincidentally, the tcase power is one fuse away under the hood at position #4. That fuse is also good and there is power going to the fusebox from the battery. I disconnected, cleaned, and reconnected the plug by the tcase motor to make sure it didn't get too wet/shorted or corroded.

I do not know if these two problems are related or coincidence, but wonder if hitting high water at speed forced water at pressure into some connection underside and/or "hydro-pressured" a connection loose.

Does anyone know where I can find the window/moonroof junctions after the fusebox before (or where) they split up to the separate windows and the moonroof? Or give a theory on the tcase? Or hopefully, know of an area on the underside where both might have junctions that got messed up when I hit the water?

I ran an OBDII diagnostic and it threw no codes or errors. Could this merely be coincidence with the water crossings and be something like the GEM going bad? I did check the GEM fuse and it is good too. But could a screwy GEM cause both issues?

Bump :)

Only have 96 info... but the power for the windows and moonroof (among other things) goes thru an "Accessory Delay" relay contact.... this relay contact hangs off fuse 5 (in 96... appears to be the same). The relay allows you to operate the windows once the key is turned off and the doors have not been touched... ie. the driver doesn't have to wait for you can roll up the windows before turning off the vehicle ... nice feature...:). Anyways, that relay has to be operated when the key is set otherwise power doesn't get to the moonroof and window controls. The bad news is that relay is operated by the GEM so maybe the GEM isn't happy for some reason.... but check the relay.

The good news... maybe... is that the relays appear to play a role with transfer shifting (electronic)... interesting. If I read my schematic rights (tough... the font is awful on the cd)... the feed for both of these relays is an interior fuse "27" (I think that's the number). It feeds the "transfer case shift relay". Hope 96 and 99 are close and hope it helps.

Thanks!!!

Guess what..... I have a fuse #26 that is identifed for the "Battery Saver Relay, Electronic Shift Relay, Interior Lamp Relay, and Electronic Shift Control Module" in my owners manual. Crosschecking with the Haynes manual reveals an electrical schematic on page 12-41 that shows the battery saver relay controled by that fuse #26 as being part of the power window system and that same schematic also pictures the tcase Torque On Demand relay inexplicably in the same line as the power moonroof control switch.

After reading your post, I opened my door and noticed that my interior lights were also not working. A Dead Link Removed goes off in my head..... Incredibly, that lousy single 10 amp fuse #26 was blown, I replaced it, and it fixed every single one of my problems.

It's unbelievable to think that a single fuse ties in to relays and systems as varied as power windows, tcase motor, moonroof, and interior lighting, but it does.

:thumbsup: Thanks so much for sending me in that direction, you saved me a full day taking it to a shop which would have charged me $100 to run a diagnostic and probably a couple hours labor to track down the problem :rolleyes:

Back