1. It's time for our yearly 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale! Last day is November 30!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a full two year membership!

Click Here to start your membership!

If you would like to extend an existing membership for two more years please contact "Rick" through a conversation/private message as I will have to set up existing memberships manually. Thank you and happy holidays!!!
    Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

HELP! M5 Shift Rail Plugs

Discussion in 'Modified 1991-1994 Explorers' started by doonze, August 1, 2009.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. doonze

doonze Active Member

City, State:
      Fayetteville, Ar
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      '93 X Sport
      Ok, I've heard about the 3 plugs on top of the shift rail that fail, I'm having a bit of fluid leaking out from what seems the top of the M5 tranny. Now where the heck are these things??? I've looked around and see some stuff on the sides and bottom, but I can't see any part of the top of this thing... How the heck do you get to them, even to check them??? Also anyone know where you can get the replacement metal plugs.

I searched for this stuff, and found lots of threads talking about them, but no how-to or instructions or anything. I know they are supposed to be on top, behind the shift rails, kinda facing the rear or something...but I don't see a way to get to em! Or check em! Any ideas? I'll post a how to if I do this thing.

2. Support EF

Holiday Special through Nov 30! Join the Elite Explorers for $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. IZwack

IZwack Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Germantown, MD
      1998 Ford Explorer
      (attached image)

Attached Files:

4. glfredrick

glfredrick Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Louisville, Kentucky
      86-98 Ranger STX
      Have to lower the crossmember to see them. Common fix is to replace the rubber plugs with steel cup plugs (like engine frost plugs). May have to pull the transmission to really do the fix.

Also, make sure you run the RIGHT oil. Many guys make the mistake of running gear oil. It takes auto transmission oil. Check the manual.

5. RangerX

RangerX Elite Ranger Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Omao, Kauai
      '93 Ranger XLT 4X4
    6. doonze

doonze Active Member

City, State:
      Fayetteville, Ar
      '93 X Sport
      Hmmm..... Does anyone know if we can get to ours from the cab too? It looks like it should be almost right under the shift boot, unless I'm mistaken. I haven't had mine off, if anyone has let me know what's under there! LOL, I might just pull mine and see anyway!

7. Tshark299

Tshark299 Active Member

City, State:
      Upstate NY
      '93 XLT
      You can get at them by just removing the shift boot and upper shifter. I just re-sealed mine last week by doing it that way. I used a flat screwdriver to pry them out. Then I degreased them, and then coated them with a bead of RTV after they dried. I used needle-nose pliers to lower them down and back into their holes. After letting them cure overnight I haven't had a leak since.

8. Freshmeat

Freshmeat Active Member

City, State:
      Denham Springs, LA
      1994 Ranger STX SC
      I'm glad I found this before I installed my transmission- plugs are ordered, will be installed Wednesday. I'd have hated to install it and then have to deal with it leaking everywhere.

9. Brian1

Brian1 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Albuquerque, NM
      1991 XLT
      Callsign:
      KG5BAQ
    10. Freshmeat

Freshmeat Active Member

City, State:
      Denham Springs, LA
      1994 Ranger STX SC
      Brian1, thanks for the post- saw a couple other tips on your page that I may try to knock out this weekend, as mud is a primary ingredient in most of the local trails.