Help on the hood... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help on the hood...

Ok, so here's the deal. I've got some sort of salt, or rust, or something on my hood. Really makes it look funny. It's on the roof too, but I'm getting a rack and that should clear any of that up. I don't really care about looks all that much, but this sucker sticks out like a sore thumb. Any ideas on how to get rid of it without having to get a paint job or replace the hood? Here's the best picture of the hood I could find:

http://ucsu.colorado.edu/~dotyj/picture2.jpg

and another:

http://ucsu.colorado.edu/~dotyj/picture4.jpg

Just a quick thank you to Chris for this pictures :D

Anyways, any help is appreciated, thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks like the paint is gone. Only fix is to repaint. Sorry. :(

Dang :(

Is there anything else I can do? I know Matt would suggest hurculining it :)

yup...that is from a lack of wax and previous paint neglection (is that a word? it is now) the only fix is to repaint it and then take care of the new paint.... OR just herculine the whole truck :)

Well shoot. I guess now I've gotta rough up the previous owners, maybe get 'em to pay for a cheapo paint job because of paint neglection (beautiful word James :p)

Clear coat is gone. Only option is to repaint.

I've got the same problem on my '92. But the good news, at least on mine, it that the paint is still good, it's the clear coat that's coming off. And once it's come off the paint underneath looks fine. So the only trouble areas are the edges as the 'cancer' spreads. I'm just leaving mine alone and waiting for it all to come off. A decent paint matching job would be well over a thousand and I'm not will to spend that. You could try a mild rubbing compound that might speed up the process. Getting rid of the white edges and having no clear coat at all. My cheap, lazy .02 talking.

Back