[HELP] Wires coming from door lock cylinder...Why? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

[HELP] Wires coming from door lock cylinder...Why?

Camacorn

Reaction score
City, State
Inverness, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Mountaineer 5.0 H.O.
I was inside my driver door panel on my 1997 Mercury Mountaineer today replacing the door switch, and while I was in there, I noticed there is a plug on the back of my door lock cylinder that has a red wire, black wire, and green wire coming out of it.

To my knowledge, I do not have an alarm, as I wasn't given a key fob when I purchased it. This plug is definitely from the factory.

I also know that on some explorers, if you turn the key twice, it unlocks all doors at once, but mine does not do that ( unless that's what this is for and it's just broken. )

Does anybody have any idea why there is a plug coming out of the cylinder?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For the alarm system I believe.

How do I confirm that it has an alarm?

I think you already have. Does your truck have a keypad on the door?

I thought all Mountaineers had keyless entry. The wires on your locks should allow you to lock/unlock doors and activate/deactivate alarm with the key.

The numeric keypad has 6 wires.

The three wire connector might be for the door handle switch. Pulling the handle was supposed to turn the outside puddle lights on. Not used AFAIC.

I believe that the keypad wires are five for the number buttons and one for the illumination.

I believe that the keypad wires are five for the number buttons and one for the illumination.
Add a common wire for buttons :)

You're right - according to the schematic there are 8 wires for the keypad:
- 5 for the numbers plus one common, equaling 6
- 2 for the illumination
The keypad interfaces with the RAP module; so this truck also has keyless entry.

The anti-theft schematic shows the "disarm" switches on the three lock cylinders connecting to the RAP module; smarts in that module must also operate the door locks, as I am pretty sure that "double tapping" the door cylinder causes all doors to unlock.

The three wire connector might be for the door handle switch. Pulling the handle was supposed to turn the outside puddle lights on. Not used AFAIC.
Lifting the handle should cause the interior lights to come on, even if the door is locked. Same with the key, one turn unlocks driver and turns on the interior lights, an additional turn unlocks all the doors. My keypad doesn't work properly; the only thing it does is lock the doors when you depress the 7/8 and 9/0 at the same time. Also arms the theft system.

Bill

Well, then my door is not working correctly either :)
My key never worked mechanically, only by remote. If I loose the truck battery power, I am locked out.

My '97 Mountaineer has no keypad, I don't have puddle lights either. Pulling the handle does trigger the lights, but turning the key twice on either door does not unlock all of them, which is why I'm wondering what the three wires on the cylinder are for.

My '97 Mountaineer has no keypad, I don't have puddle lights either. Pulling the handle does trigger the lights, but turning the key twice on either door does not unlock all of them, which is why I'm wondering what the three wires on the cylinder are for.
My locks on my 98 limited siezed up and so I purchased new ones. I did not replace the wires going onto the back of the tumbler as I did not understand what purpose they served. That little device tells the computer the vehicle is not being broken into. If you remove that piece like I did, my alarm goes off if I use the new key into the lock and open the door. That sensor simply tells the computer to disarm the system, without that your alarm goes off.

Back