Help with bigger tires please?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help with bigger tires please??

Reaction score
City, State
ORLANDO, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 EXPLORER SPORT
I've never lifted a truck before, and never been offroading, so I need some help here. I have a 96 sport. I don't want anything really crazy, just a little bigger tires. Heres my questions: 1. Do I HAVE to lift it to put bigger tires? 2. Do they make bigger tires for 15" stock wheels? Every tire place I go to says you can't put bigger tires on an explorer because of the rollover problems. Are bigger tires cheaper or more expensive than stock? I don't know the dimensions of the tires, but 3. what size would I want for maybe like 2 or 3 inches bigger? I think the stock tires are 235-75-15.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

1. No, you can fit 31" tires with a stock expo aprox 255/75R15
2.Yes, much bigger you pry don't want to go to wide on the explorer stock 7" wide rim though
3.Price is more dependant on brand, but the price does increase slightly on size

You can easily lift your expo around 2" for cheap.....search for "torsion twist" aka. "TT" and "shackels" or "add a leaf"

so i CAN fit 31" tires on a stock rim, with no rubbing, right? and I'll look into that shackles and torsion twist. can i buy that at a local auto part store or is there like a special place to get it? thanks for the help.

yes you can fit 31s on a stock explroer rim, i have persoanlly mounted a 33x12.5x15 on a stock toyota rim that was a 15x6 and it was fine

so how do i figure what dimensions, i could never firgure out what tires sizes mean...i know the last number is the wheel size, but what is the first 2? ........if i have 235/75/15 i go to...235/95/15 or 255/75/15?? that would be 2"s bigger right?

the numbers are as follows....the first one is the width in centimeters to figure out inches, divide by 25.4. The 2nd number is the aspect ratio, this tells you how tall the tire is in respect to the width as previously stated. So, a 255/75R15 would go something like this.....
255/25.4=10.04 in Wide
10.04*.75=7.53 in this is how high the tire is around the rim....
so, the tire is a total of 7.53*2+ 15(rim size)= 30.06 in tall

Just to let you know, my expo came stock with 255/70R16's witch is about 30" tall and 10" wide. It now has 265/75R16's which are about 31.9" tall and 10.5" wide. I have the tt/add-a-leaf for about 1.75" of lift, and the only thing i had to do was take off my front mudflaps to make them fit. There's a link in my sig to see my truck.

kert0307 said:
the numbers are as follows....the first one is the width in centimeters to figure out inches, divide by 25.4. The 2nd number is the aspect ratio, this tells you how tall the tire is in respect to the width as previously stated. So, a 255/75R15 would go something like this.....
255/25.4=10.04 in Wide
10.04*.75=7.53 in this is how high the tire is around the rim....
so, the tire is a total of 7.53*2+ 15(rim size)= 30.06 in tall

Just to let you know, my expo came stock with 255/70R16's witch is about 30" tall and 10" wide. It now has 265/75R16's which are about 31.9" tall and 10.5" wide. I have the tt/add-a-leaf for about 1.75" of lift, and the only thing i had to do was take off my front mudflaps to make them fit. There's a link in my sig to see my truck.

That's good info there. Think about a sticky

Any time you raise your center of gravity on any vehicle you increase your roll. Think some good shocks also.

LOWPROEXPLORER said:
so i CAN fit 31" tires on a stock rim, with no rubbing, right? and I'll look into that shackles and torsion twist. can i buy that at a local auto part store or is there like a special place to get it? thanks for the help.

u can buy shackles at a local parts store but id go to http://www.tellico4x4.com/product_info.php/products_id/6362?osCsid=a0998d33e54e25963c34cdf3467dfe10
these are good shackles

as for the torsion twist here is a forum explaining how to do it http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47345&highlight=torsion+bar+101
good luck and post some pics when ur all done!!!

Back