• Register Today It's free!

Help with Keyless Entry System

brandonfla

Reaction score
City, State
Tampa FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 xls
I just bought a 2002 explorer 2wd xls and we are having a arguement with the car dealer. We think from all the signs in the explorer and from what i've read that the keyless entry is a standard feature on these trucks and the dealer is saying that its not and wasnt selected when the original owner bought it. Dealer wants 600+ to install the keyless entry w/alarm.

when looking at it on the lot, the salesman used a keyless entry to turn off alarm and unlock the doors. he stated that its a dealers alarm and its taken off when its bought. he then gave us a keyless remote and said to come back in morning to have them program it because he was having a problem programming it (we bought it about 9pm). went back in morning and really felt we got the run around about this.

can anybody tell us if the keyless entry was standard? how about the alarm? is there somewhere we can go to find it written it was a standard feature? would love to be able to go straight to the gm of the dealership and tell him about the salesman and show proof it should be on the truck

Try Carfax.com.It will cost you $20 if you enter your vin # it will give you a full report.Or do a Google search for " auto vin search ".Or ask the GM to do it for you at no charge.I think he might be pulling your leg.

Hi,
I noticed the same thing when I got my explorer recently. The dealer had a lock box on the window with remotes in it and there was an aftermarket alarm barely visible under the dash. The keyless entry remotes stayed with me and still work to unlock the doors. The alarm was removed from the vehicle while I was signing documents. I knew it was the dealer's alarm though so it didn't surprise me. An actual alarm system aside from the ignition protection system (called PATS) is not standard equipment on Explorers and still isn't. It's an option you can order it with or you can have one added that is tailored to work with Fords. I suggest you get two remotes for your vehicle if the dealer is giving you one. They are pretty cheap on ebay.

The PATS factory system is designed to prevent someone from starting the car unless they have the right ignition key. It doesn't stop a thief from breaking into the vehicle or taking your radio and other things. For that protection, you should get an alarm.

Back