for access to Reviews and Discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modification, Events, and more!

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

help with my 2004 explorer radiator flush

Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by cfd911, September 8, 2010.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. cfd911

cfd911 Member

City, State:
      chicago IL
      Year and Model:
      2015 xlt 4wd
      hey gang i m looking to do a radiator flush on my 2004 explorer,

i need to know what kind of anti freeze to use color? and also the correct
      procedure. can i get away with just a drain and refil, any information would be greatly appreciated thanks.....

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. rumpledoll

rumpledoll Active Member

City, State:
      New Jesey
      Year and Model:
      2002 Eddie Bauer V6 4WD
      A 2004 Explorer came from the factory with Motorcraft Premium Gold coolant. This is a G-05 HOAT coolant. Most easily you can find Zerex G-05 coolant at some autoparts places, or you can go to the Ford dealer and get the Premium Gold coolant - it should around $14 for a gallon of concentrate. Mix 50/50 with distilled water (best practice).

I would stay well away from Dexcool and Dexcool type coolants such as Prestone All Makes. In a pinch you could revert back to conventional green coolant, but if you do you will have to switch from the extended life schedule of G-05 (100K/5 years) to conventional schedule (30K).

Rumple

4. cfd911

cfd911 Member

City, State:
      chicago IL
      Year and Model:
      2015 xlt 4wd
      thanks for the help i used ford premium gold again with distilled water,

yes i agree about dex cool VERY BAD STUFF i had 2 gm trucks wth it, and everyone i

know it having problems with it and they havn t even gotten close to the the suggested mileage for a flush. it's BAD STUFF!!!!