Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Help

Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by Pickle Rick, September 12, 2017.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Pickle Rick

Pickle Rick New Member

City, State:
      Indiana
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2004 Explorer Xlt 4.0
      My 04 Ford Explorer keeps randomly slipping out of gear. It's done it twice, once while driving and once while I stopped to put it in reverse. Both times I've had to turn the car off and on to get it in gear which confuses me. I've had issues with my trans shifting hard into reverse and into drive everyone once in a while but not through the gears. Has anyone had this issue but someone pleasssse help.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. CarlosHRNYC

CarlosHRNYC New Member

City, State:
      Pine Bush, NY
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2004 Explorer XLS
      First and foremost, check your transmission fluid level. How many miles do you have on your Ex and when was your last transmission fluid and filter change? Unfortunately, there is no dipstick to check. You'll have to get the car up on 4 jacks (it must be level to correctly check fluid) and get under the vehicle. On the bottom of the transmission pan is a nut with a Torx 30 bolt in the middle. There are plenty of posts on here that will show you the proper way to check level and change as necessary. I've done it... it's not difficult.

If your transmission fluid is dark and smells burnt... you're probably overdue for a change.

If your fluid is fine, then you can move on to more troubleshooting.