Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Here it is! My BII!

Discussion in 'Bronco II Registry' started by stephan325i, March 10, 2009.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. stephan325i

stephan325i Active Member

City, State:
      Oshkosh Wisconsin
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1985 Bronco II, 2.8, 5spd
      Okay... The "Whats Next"

So again in no particular order as of right now....Some things i have figured out and plan on doing. With pictures.

Whats wrong with this picture? Ill give you a hint....A buick has 205/70 R15.....

[​IMG]

Im not going huge with tires yet. For now i have a set of 235/75 R15 from a explorer. Really good tread. Black steel wheels. Just something to make it look like less of a car on steroids and more like a suv that was the runt of its litter.

As you saw in the pictures on the last post.. Either a diff rebuild or a 8.8 swap is in order. The seals are going out and well, with the bigger engine going in at some point in time (4.0) might as well do the bigger axle now.

On the note of axles i think i want to do a SAS in front. remove a bunch of weight, and find something stronger. The only thing i dont want to give up is the manual lockers. I like them, i know when there engaged or not. Hopefully i can find the 8.8 with discs too. This is going to be a life long vehicle. not a daily driver maybe, but it will always be in my shop (when i build one) so why not have great breaks.

[​IMG]

It needs a new radio. BAD. so after i put some 6.5 in the doors, some 5x7 in the rear, i plan on building into my rear lift gate either four 8" subs or two 10". im going to cut out plastic from the rear gates panel and fab some custom fiberglass sub boxes in the holes seen here...

[​IMG]

Oh and im sill looking for the rest of my tan interior, carpet, rear seats (maybe reupholster the old ones), trim pieces, headliner, visors from a newer explorer (lights and mirrors). I would say a new dash pad or what ever its called, but apparently 410 owns the last one alive thats not sun cracked. And i dont know if i can justify the price for one from LMC.

Still need an Engine and a 5 spd tranny from a 1st gen exp... im keeping the manual t-case.

And lastly... for all mechanical parts i need.....engine, driveshafts, ecu, wiring harness, aluminum wheels, etc...... i am kicking myself for this every day... when i bought the BII i sold this.....

[​IMG]

FOR ONLY $600 with a bad tranny. all the parts i needed were there in working condition. Crap. oh well.

More to come as its built...

Last edited: April 8, 2009
    2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. 410Fortune

410Fortune ELITE BRONCO2ERER Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Crawlorado
      B2 Mod
      a ranger 8.8 will bolt in, if you can live with drums and 28 spline axles :)

You can do a cheap and easy dana 30 SAS, loook at the writeup done by James Marcy or username thejeepshop on here, perfect for a Bronco II on the cheap and easy, lightweight...

4. stephan325i

City, State:
      Oshkosh Wisconsin
      Its been a while, with little forward progress, but thats what happens when you get boat and have to work all the time when not boating. ha

So i have rebuilt the healiner, replaced door fabric to match headliner, wrapped rear hatch pannel in fabric to match.

[​IMG]
      [​IMG]

I removed the front lower plastic spoiler thing to give a higher appearance. worked, then i found a sweet deal on some 31 10.50 BFG so i bought them and when i went to test fit on a stock suspension i found out that they fit, with minor triming and rolling. Not for wheeling yet, but for daily driving they look sweet.

[​IMG]
      [​IMG]

Things still on the list to do when time and money magically appear...
      Engine swap
      paint interior pannels and exterior
      small body lift.

One thing i NEED now since i did bigger tires is new tie rod ends. The 31s really brought out the fact that mine are SHOTTTTTTTT. I saw a thread where someone built their own. If any one knows who did this i would love to know so i can find out how to build my own. Local parts store prices for all the pieces i need is over $170.

More pictures to come when more work is done.

5. stephan325i

City, State:
      Oshkosh Wisconsin
      More work done/to get done

This weekend i did some custom work when installing a hitch.

Also i purchased the donor vehicle for the engine and rear axle swap.

I need to find a front axle.

Pictures and Details to come!

6. stephan325i

City, State:
      Oshkosh Wisconsin
      got some stuff done, and more stuff to come!

Here is some quick pictures of the donor vehicle

[​IMG]
      [​IMG]

And then i took some time and money, and more time to put a hitch on the BII. Had to cut the bumper, the frame, the gas tank skid plate. So lots of cutting, but it looks sweet....

[​IMG]

And look what i can do now without borrowing my grandpas truck!!!

[​IMG]

7. stephan325i

City, State:
      Oshkosh Wisconsin
      Update

So i have had some time to get a little her and a little there done. This is just a quick picture update for anyone who is following.

Pulled the engine out so first things first, radiator, trans cooler and AC radiators removed.

[​IMG]

Then motor mounts and exhaust bolts, along with all wiring going from engine to body is removed from the body side and pulled with the motor.

[​IMG]

After removing the tcase and trans mounts the engine and trans were pulled together.

[​IMG]

Which created the problem of the cherry picker not lifting high enough go clear the trans from the engine bay.

Enter HEMAN. LOL (me)

[​IMG]

once i got it set on the body, i had to lift yet again to clear everyting else when we rolled the picker back.

[​IMG]

Once we got it pulled out i seperated the trans from the engine, since the trans is bad. Which by the way i need help identifying which trans this is. A4LD, 4R44, or 4R55.

[​IMG]

Thats all the pics i have from the engine pull. Next post is the firewall removal.

8. stephan325i

City, State:
      Oshkosh Wisconsin
      Firewall removal from EX for BII

Since im using basically EVERYtHIng from the explorer for the BII i took the firewall out too. im using it because i am also using the HVAC system, Break booster, steering colum. Anything that needs to go through the firewall i am using. So i took this one to put in the BII

Started by drilling out all the top welds so i had the extra flange on the top to weld.

[​IMG]

Then went around with a cut off wheel and cut as close to the edges i could on the sides and bottom, when i cut the fire wall out of the BII i will leave an inch on these sides to weld to and seal.

[​IMG]

The top lip will have to be straightened, and reinforced, but you get the idea.

[​IMG]

almost out....

[​IMG]

Removed and now waiting to be put in the BII

[​IMG]

Hope the BII end goes as well as this did.

9. stephan325i

City, State:
      Oshkosh Wisconsin
      Center council install.

I was sick of not having a center council, with a arm rest and REAL cup holders so i took the one from the EX and modified it to fit in the BII.

The arm rest support had to be shortened since the floor is a little different than that in the EX.

The chunk between the marks had to be removed to shorten it. then the front was just cut on one line with out removing any material.

[​IMG]

Individual pieces, with the reinforcement pieces not drilled yet.

[​IMG]

How it will fit together...

[​IMG]

All bolted together, multiple views.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Installing.

First had to mock up the plastic with the support to make sure it was all lined up. then used some 1/4 self tapping sheet mettal screws to fasten to the floor.

[​IMG]

And after install. It looks like the arm rest is pointing twords the driver side a little. And it is supposed to be. It is my arm rest after all so i wanted it closer to me and less towords the passanger.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And thats all the updates i have for now. The next ones will probably be the cleaning up of the wiring eliminating the wires i do not need. Or possibly getting into the actuall swap including the dash, firewall, and engine. Or maybe the removal of the 8.8 from the Ex.

Thanks for following any one who is.

Let me know what you think.

10. fischerry

fischerry Active Member

City, State:
      THE SOUTH
      92 x'sploda
      narley job man, i love the hard work and nothing crazy. keepin in clean and simple!!!

11. GRNMACHINE

GRNMACHINE Well-Known Member

City, State:
      IL
      95 Sport 4x4
      Just saw this thread for the first time, nice work. Subscribing. Those new tires make the BII look much better, like a truck. Only thing I didnt like about the BII when it came out, skinny car tires.... Sad. Looks like alot of work and looking forward to seeing the progress. Nice beverage choice as well.

12. Sams01XplrSprt

Sams01XplrSprt Southern Cali Explorer

City, State:
      Newport Beach California & Bay Area California
      2001 Sport (sold)
      looking goood so far keep up good work

13. stephan325i

City, State:
      Oshkosh Wisconsin
      Thanks guys, its nice when people appreciate the simple work that im doing. Its kind of been on hold for a while since im finishing up school in the next month.

Im not going crazy at all with this, its going to be a life time daily driver, with some off road but nothing serious, so id like to go up with it a little, i still get a tiny bit of fender rub going in some steep driveways.

Yummmmy Bud Light

If anyone knows a lead on a 95' explorer transmission (4R55E) i could use it, thats the only part holding me back from doing the next step.

14. gmanpaint

gmanpaint Torsion Bar Free Elite Explorer

City, State:
      STL MO
      94 XLT-95 FX4
      Great thread!

Next time take the front tires off and lower the rig on a log to get the clearance needed for the cherry picker. It helps big time.

I will have a 4R55E when I do my M5OD swap.

15. stephan325i

City, State:
      Oshkosh Wisconsin
      Yeah, i think we even actually had the truck on jack stands, to make it easier to work under while removing items, and we needed the clearance since we pulled the trans with the motor. Otherwise we would have just dropped the truck on the ground before pulling the motor.

You want to do me a favor...... DO YOUR SWAP... i need that trans bad. haha

Let me know when you do it, then maybe we can make a deal on your trans.

16. gmanpaint

gmanpaint Torsion Bar Free Elite Explorer

City, State:
      STL MO
      94 XLT-95 FX4
      Will keep you posted. I am not sure when the swap will take place. I have a bumper snafu to figure out first. I think OshKosh is like 10 hour drive from here...ouch.

17. stephan325i

City, State:
      Oshkosh Wisconsin

For the right price,ill come get it. I have come unconventional methods of transportation i can use to come get parts...(my dads a pilot with his own plane, will fly me to get it) if the info is correct. (price, condition, Millage, etc)

So yea, keep me posted. Thanks

18. stephan325i

City, State:
      Oshkosh Wisconsin
      Not much done so small update.

So after hundreds of miles of bad fuel millage and running extremely rich with oil being burnt and negative crank case pressure i finally decided that it was a intake manifold gasket that needed to be replaced.

I started tearing into the engine with valve covers and right away i found this...

[​IMG]

Then found out that taking the intake off was not fun because everything had to come off the intake manifold to get to the one bolt under the EGR.

[​IMG]

After the intake was off and the the gasket was pulled out.... it looked like it was replaced and someone put it in wrong. like it was already tore before bolted in.

[​IMG]

After it was opened up i could see some more problems from running so rich...

[​IMG]

Here is the EGR ports, all of them looked like this.

[​IMG]

So after hours upon hours of freezing my butt off working in the wisconsin winter in a parking lot, i got it all put back together.

Decided that since the valve covers were off i would adjust the valve lash and get rid of the wicked rocker tick. And after some research on this forum and others i adjusted them 3/4 turn past 0 lash. Put it all back together, and found out that what i found was wrong. none of the valves were closing and no compression, so i pulled it apart again. set them all to 0 lash with out feeler gauges and put it back together. started, got the engine to operating temp and race timed it since it still does not advance itself. It now has more power than it has since i bought it. its brilliant, cant wait to do the 4.0 swap, still trying to find a trans for that, either a 4r44e or 4r55e.

19. stephan325i

City, State:
      Oshkosh Wisconsin
      Few other pictures.

So i needed to get the body of the explorer out of my shop, no one bought parts from it so i just scrapped it all. here are some pictures, thought it was funny i towed it to the yard using the BII which is stealing all the parts from it. haha death to the x and new life soon for the BII.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So the explorer is dead, completely.

20. stephan325i

City, State:
      Oshkosh Wisconsin
      Last post for a while i bet.

Some ideas i thought about and decided to photoshop. Thought id give you guys a chance to tear into them.

How it is now...

[​IMG]

Idea #1... lifted and some creativity with the rear windows, probably wil leave the windows but like the idea of lifting it for sure.

[​IMG]

And the more extreme idea #2 for towing capability.... lifted and moving the rear axle back to put more stability into it when towing. only problem with this would be fuel tank relocation. any ideas for that?

[​IMG]

Any critiques?

21. 410Fortune

City, State:
      Crawlorado
      B2 Mod
      thats interesting, looks like a scout

22. stephan325i

City, State:
      Oshkosh Wisconsin
      forgot one update

So its the smallest thing i have done to the BII yet, but it makes all the difference. They look sweet on it.

[​IMG]

The second picture is after i took ten min and hit them with some mothers mag polish.

[​IMG]

23. stephan325i

City, State:
      Oshkosh Wisconsin
      Blew the engine, swap time.

So i blew the head gaskets on the BII two weeks ago, so had to do the swap before i had the transmission i wanted, but thats soon to come.

So here are some pictures and descriptions of what was done.

Started with removing hood, obviously.

[​IMG]

Air box and some electronics

[​IMG]

and with some camera magic the engine vanishes.

[​IMG]

Engine out, pulling exhaust manifolds off to use bolts where 4.0 bolts were lost (didnt work, had to find 4.0 bolts) and pulled off motor mount brackets, they bolted up.

[​IMG]

New stuff to go in.

[​IMG]

Dash removal, or beer drinking, ok both!

[​IMG]

Here is where it gets fun, time to start cutting. Removed the firewall to make room for the explorer one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Grandpa flattening the flange so it can be welded. And in the end i cut that part off and felt bad for him wasting his time.

[​IMG]

Where did it go?

[​IMG]

Cleaning the edges to weld to.

[​IMG]

New one in the process of being installed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Painted.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

HVAC

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And some interesting ways to install the engine and trans in one.

[​IMG]

Engine in.

[​IMG]

Dash in.

[​IMG]

With some fab work i used the 95 wiper motor, so it now has intermitten wipers.

[​IMG]

Everyhting in.

[​IMG]

Old fuel pick up, and new pump. for a 90 Bronco II

[​IMG]

Bought a plug for the 90 and spliced it into the 95 harness. turned out great.

[​IMG]

Took the advice from a current BII owner and you should too. go through the floor to get to the pump, not taking the tank out. So easy.

[​IMG]

Steering column in and dash, looks good, no pictures now but i have the seats and center council too, so it all matches and looks great.

[​IMG]

Had to make a cat. front half of the cat for the 95, back flange from the 95.

[​IMG]

Thats the last picture for now, but i still have to get the trans, which is on its way.

Piece of advice, if you swap a 95 or newer 4.0 into the bronco II make sure you get the headder pipe/ y pipe, from a 91-94 explorer and the cat from that vehicle. The y pipe from the 95 was not designed for the raduis arm cross member.

Ok sick of being on the computer. thought you would all want to see the update.

24. 410Fortune

City, State:
      Crawlorado
      B2 Mod
      Dang.... thats one way to do it!! Nice work!!!!!

25. stephan325i

City, State:
      Oshkosh Wisconsin
      Thanks, i think i have my cousin convinced to buy a BII. he will have one, i will have one, and i have two parts BII also, four into Two, cant wait.

26. GRNMACHINE

GRNMACHINE Well-Known Member

City, State:
      IL
      95 Sport 4x4
      I like it!! Looking forward to more pics.