Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Here it is! My BII!

Discussion in 'Bronco II Registry' started by stephan325i, March 10, 2009.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Glen4X4

Glen4X4 Explorer Addict

City, State:
      Lewistown, Pa
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2000 XLS
      Wow....that's some extensive work. Congratulations on getting it together the way you planned!

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. stephan325i

stephan325i Active Member

City, State:
      Oshkosh Wisconsin
      1985 Bronco II, 2.8, 5spd

I think the next set of pictures is going to be the transmission install to go to an automatic.

That or the axle swap. I now have a 8.8 and a Dana 35 ttb to put in. There is also a 4" lift that will go in when i do this.

Yeah your telling me, it was tough, but it looks sweet and the added power is amazing.

4. Glen4X4

Glen4X4 Explorer Addict

City, State:
      Lewistown, Pa
      2000 XLS
      Too bad shipping would kill there is someone selling a good tranny from a 95 explorer for $100.00 about an hour from me. Are you using a first gen ex 8.8 or are you going second gen so you have discs? Why didn't you keep the 8.8 from the explorer you used?

5. stephan325i

City, State:
      Oshkosh Wisconsin
      Oh man, shipping should not be that bad. Maybe $90. I might have to look into that. Do you know anything else about the transmission?

I actually did keep the 8.0 from the second gen. With discs. I just have not put it in yet. im waiting until i get the transmission, then ill do the thole drive line swap. front, back, lift, transfer case, transmission, etc.

6. Deuling

Deuling Member

City, State:
      Muskegon Michigan
      1986 Ford Bronco2 4x4 xlt
      Any new updates? I would like to do the same motor swap so i wanna see how she runs.

7. stephan325i

City, State:
      Oshkosh Wisconsin
      No updates as of yet. the only thing i have done is replaced one of the rear quarter windows. Money is the limitation now. The engine runs like a top, and it has so much power. (at least compared to the old pooch of a 2.8.

If your doing this swap with this year of vehicle make sure you have almost ALL of the wires from the old vehicle. fuel pump wiring harness, transmission and transfer case wiring harness, engine and engine bay wiring harness. basically when i did the swap i pulled all the wires out of my bronco besides the four wires running to the tail lights. Those ones i just pulled out towards the back and fed them back up the passanger side. that is where the connections are for the tail lights in the 95.

If you have any questions let me know, ill help as much as i can.

One piece of advice, unless you have the time and tools to do things like cut out and replace the firewall and build new dash mounts id recommend listening to everyone else and sticking with a 91-94 explorer 4.0

8. Deuling

Deuling Member

City, State:
      Muskegon Michigan
      1986 Ford Bronco2 4x4 xlt
      Yah money is tight everywhere these days lol. Im not gonna worry about the new engine at the moment. I just finished mine in time for summer to come around and to go hit up the sand dunes. But as soon as fall comes im looking into a little more power lol.

9. bats

bats Active Member

City, State:
      Long Island, NY
      88 Bronco II
      stephan, that is an amazing amount of work! You're pretty much rebuilding the truck. How much easier would it be to swap in a 4.0 from a first gen ex/ranger?

10. stephan325i

City, State:
      Oshkosh Wisconsin
      Sorry guys, have not been on here in months.

The first gen is way easier because its WAY less wires. no need for the dash, no need for the firewall, basically just pull out the old engine, splice some wires, and go. There are tons of threads on the fourms about doing a first gen swap. Any help i can give i will though.

11. stephan325i

City, State:
      Oshkosh Wisconsin
      Now, it has been a while since i have been on here, and the main reason i came back on is to do the unfortunate......

plain and simple.... The BII is for sale..... $2,000 as is, with all the other stuff that goes along with it. Firm.

http://madison.craigslist.org/cto/2241242358.html

If your interested, email or call me, if you know someone that might be interested, email or call them.

It will hurt to see it go, but its time.

12. GuardianSport

GuardianSport Active Member

City, State:
      Lindsay, ON
      '00 Sport 4x4 - '98 EB
      Why are you selling it?

13. stephan325i

City, State:
      Oshkosh Wisconsin
      A couple reasons:

One, its just asstes sitting not being utilized. Money that could be used other places that would be much more benificial.

Two, I dont have time to work on it any more. With my new job I have very little time to do anything with it.

Three, and probably one of the biggest, My cousin and i used to take turns working with each other on out toys, his ZR2 S10 and my BII, since he now works for a auto shop, he has not desire to work on our vehicles because his job is working on vehicles. It was a time to get together, drink LOTS of beer, and bond. Now we dont do it. He does not work on his either. So there really is no point in keeping it. We still hang out alot, just on different terms too, we also have significant others now so we do group things. They, the women, dont really understand the concept of working on trucks, drinking tons of beer, trying to start each others asses on fire when not paying attention, fighting just cause we are pissed at something that is not working right on the trucks, all that stuff.

Thats my little description of why!

Ha.

14. stephan325i

City, State:
      Oshkosh Wisconsin
      Oh, and because i just bought a new truck!!! Yesterday.

15. stephan325i

City, State:
      Oshkosh Wisconsin
      Rush sale

Kind of in a hurry to sell this now.

If sold before noon on saturday 3/26 i will sell the truck and all the parts that go with it for $1750

Spread the word.

16. Glen4X4

Glen4X4 Explorer Addict

City, State:
      Lewistown, Pa
      2000 XLS
      Alot of work invested into this. Hope we see it around here once its sold.

17. stefanbadger

stefanbadger New Member

City, State:
      Escanaba, MI
      '98 Explorer & '85 BII
      1st post, been lurking around here for a few months, found a lotta info that helped w/ my explorer, strangely enough the explorer turned out too nice to offroad so i went searching CL for something that'd make a good offroad/winter/work truck, after a few weeks of searching i found this sweet rust free BII in wisconsin about 200 miles south of me, turns out dude has a link to his build thread on explorerforum, yes you guessed it this build thread right here, you might also note that he and i have the same name, quite strange yes, was it fate i dunno but long story short i bought it this weekend so this build thread will live on.

among other things, stephan threw in the 8.8 rear, D35 front, auto tranny and transfercase that he planned on installing. ill prolly get around to installing that stuff next fall/winter but for now i just wanna drive it. no short term plans other than fixing a few minor things and possibly a paint job to make her mine. to keep things relatively simple im thinkn of doing the original off-white minus blue panels, although i am open to suggestion. i have a rust free '88 front clip ive been tossing around installing prior to paint but im not sure i wanna put her out of commission that long, as mentioned im really stoked to drive it. and thats about it, we'll see where time and ambition take me with this girl but if anything you can be assured she will be taken care of.

thanks to all you guys that have made this site such a great resource. thanks also to stephan for all the time he put into this little gem.

-stef

18. Glen4X4

Glen4X4 Explorer Addict

City, State:
      Lewistown, Pa
      2000 XLS
      Congratulations on buying it, glad to see you joined the site.

19. GRNMACHINE

GRNMACHINE Well-Known Member

City, State:
      IL
      95 Sport 4x4
      Glad to hear it and make sure you post any updates!

20. ragajungle

ragajungle Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Chicago, IL
      89 BroncoII & 05 Taurus
      sweet :popcorn: The truck was way too cool to sit so long

21. hu_u

hu_u New Member

1985 BII, 4.0 5spd
      Look what I found

So I've used this site here and there and recently bought a bii and it just so happened to be this one. The plans that have been previously stated that was wanted to be done to it hasn't been lol. I'm going to take a guess and say the previous owner who posted on here painted it himself (it was kind of a bad looking job), added the cap to it, and a brush guard that doesn't do much for me. But, I have quite a few plans for the truck considering I'm enjoying it so much, its being driven as my winter vehicle and Hoping to turn it into more of a cruiser and not a toy. She still has the bii trans and rear end. Hoping to get on the computer tomorrow and post what she looks like now.

22. stephan325i

City, State:
      Oshkosh Wisconsin
      Hey hu_u, I'd be really interested in seeing pictures. I still sometimes wonder " what if I never sold that truck". I stuck a lot of blood and sweat into this when I still owned it years ago. Crazy how where owners were all able to find and use the same forum. Lol.

23. stephan325i

City, State:
      Oshkosh Wisconsin
      Hu, where do you live? I'd be interested in seeing the bii if you are not too far away.

24. hu_u

hu_u New Member

1985 BII, 4.0 5spd
      The bii runs from beaver dam to fond du lac as of now since that's where i'm going to school. but, when i bought it i picked it up in west allis. Not much has changed as of now besides the color, the cap, and a brush guard that someone had put on. I myself haven't had much time to do much different to it. So far just working out the mechanical gremlins that it has. First had to get a new tail pipe put on cause it was dragging on the road when i bought it, and the shop that I got that done at I didn't have enough time to pick it up the day of it being finished so I came around like 2 days later when I had time and come to find it in the middle of the parking lot. This was definitely not where it should have been left by any means, so I do a once around and find out that someone had hit it and dragged it across the lot. The mirror was all bent out of shape and pulled out of the door, the door got caved in a bit, the rear passenger fender was scraped pretty good, and the back bumper guard wasn't the greatest either. So I had a hell of a time getting that whole situation figured out, apparently a guy with a flat bed who had just gotten new tires put on had to of been the culprit cause of where he was parked, he didn't admit to it though not as if anyone would to begin with, but I know the guys down there well enough and have paid them enough for things that I have no means of fixing myself so they ended up paying for it so now I've got one nice and shiny side and everything else is pretty dull with the paint that someone just slapped on there.

25. hu_u

hu_u New Member

1985 BII, 4.0 5spd
      [​IMG]
      How it looked when I bought it

[​IMG]
      this is how I found it after the hit and run

[​IMG]
      more

[​IMG]
      some closeups

I ended up putting the exhaust straight out the back, not too much of a fan of the exhaust out the side lol. I have a cold air intake coming to get rid of the air box on there, hoping it's going to fit under the hood. I want to stiffen up the suspension since the body roll is pretty substantial as it is with all of the bii's. Definitely need a 3.73 posi rear end. Lots of odds and ends to do to make the drive a bit better. Need to figure out something for the steering column too, there's way too much play in it.

26. hu_u

hu_u New Member

1985 BII, 4.0 5spd
      Here's some quick pictures I just took

[​IMG]
      tail pipe straight out the back, I changed the rear bumper since they're pretty hard to come by so I couldn't find the original black bumper guards from the previous bumper, so now I have to try to find a front bumper to match with the bump strip across and to get rid of the brush guard without it looking a little off.

[​IMG]
      new shiny side of paint, you can tell by looking at the hatch and the side that it was painted pretty badly the first time through with this color, I do like the color though lol. Also had to put some mud flaps on because the whole side up to the big bay windows used to get caked with salt pretty badly. Also still has the same rims on, which need to be repainted.

[​IMG]
      Trip down memory lane, the cut skid plate below the gas tank for your hitch

[​IMG]
      Still has the same grille that was on it originally, has the same crack right in the bottom middle and was glued together by someone

[​IMG]
      center console that you put in, but I changed the cup holders since the original ones couldn't really be used all that much considering how close it was to the shifter. Although, they're still not very useful lol nothing bigger than a soda can will fit without getting smashed when driving.

[​IMG]
      4.0 from your 95 exp donor, recently had to replace the head gasket. Blew it on the way back from Madison taking my girlfriend out for her birthday :(

[​IMG]
      Explorer firewall that you welded in

- So I'm pretty convinced that this is your truck, it's a hell of a truck. The guy I bought it from I don't think knew anything about it at all. I don't think it's the guy you sold it to however, cause I don't think he said that he actually did anything to it besides driving for winter.