HHO: Is it alchemy? Or will it improve gas mileage on a ’99 4.0 SOHC Explorer? | Page 32 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HHO: Is it alchemy? Or will it improve gas mileage on a ’99 4.0 SOHC Explorer?

shortstack- you're in alaska. I think the guy had a good point above- what are you doing to keep the water from freezing ess. since you're in alaska?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

good old teflon tape, no leaks either. you could also use just about any thread sealant well i finnaly got a mixure that wont totally kill my fuse. its 1/4th teaspoon lye per gallon, after running it for 45ish minutes it reaches about 180 degree's which is kinda too high, and with diluting the electrolyte that much the production went down quite i bit, im gonna try putting N plates between the + and - so it will look like this +n-n+n-n+n-n+n- instead of this +n-+n-+n-+n-, nurtal plates are suppose to help with the heat/amp issue so then maybe i can add more solution

Are you using a PWM?

no but i've been thinking about getting one, i just dont wanna spend $50+ and it maybe not help, you know. that and the wife is starting to get annoyed about spending money on this hho generator that she thinks doesn't work lol

no but i've been thinking about getting one, i just dont wanna spend $50+ and it maybe not help, you know. that and the wife is starting to get annoyed about spending money on this hho generator that she thinks doesn't work lol

Krissy(wife) camping with us, "its a waist of money, and it does not work"

New mileage data

128 miles, 4.2 gallons ( BP 89 fuel ) used, netting 30.47 MPG.

This was all in town driving.

prior to HHO, what ever you acheiving?

Post from 1-10-2008 (My own HHO experiment) + analysis

Here is a repost of my HHO experiments earlier this year.

I now have 3 cells and a bubbler under my hood as we speak! (er blog)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have been experimenting with this concept for about 4000 miles now.

My setup includes 3 seperate HHO cells (Jars) and a bubbler. I have 2 circuits each operating off a 30 amp circuit breaker and relay. One circuit is direct to a single cell and the 2nd circuit feeds a pair of cells in series. Each cell has its own 12v dc fan and I've even installed a forced air cooling system.

I have a day/night video camera setup under the hood to monitor the system on my 7" touchscreen.

2 cells are fed through a bubbler and then into the vacuum plenum and the 3rd cell feeds directly into the intake.

The system is now operational only when the car is running (killed battery once by leaving the circuit on by accident). The entire circuit switches on when power is supplied to the fuel pump. I installed a failsafe circuit by running a wire to the switched output of the fuel pump relay then to the pair of 30 amp relays feeding the HHO system.

I even have a fan to cool the relays and fuses. I also have a total of 3 video cameras installed in/on the truck. Front cam (Behind grill), Rear cam (attached off the 3rd brake light), and a cam under the hood to monitor the HHO system (and watch the bubbles).

Fail Safe switched circuit currently runs:

(2) 30 amp relays with circuit breakers
(3) HHO cells
(4) 12v dc fans
(3) video cams
Back up sensor system
12 volt distribution rail for interior accessories

The HHO system also includes a temp gauge and amp meter. The HHO system in operation pulls 30-50 amps. (Depending on operating temperature)

I am still actively experimenting with cell and plate designs making changes on a daily basis. I just replaced my O2 sensors after 248K miles yesterday so the true tests start today.

No exposions yet!

End of original post.

Postmortem: My wife made me remove all the HHO cells before she would ride in the truck. :(

Analysis: I found no significant mileage difference. I believe that my homemade cells leaked air into the cells under vacuum and allowed it to dilute the gas. Also on my first gen Exploder I have no way to reprogram the PCM to offset the H20 released into the exhaust.

Here are pics of my first HHO cell in operation and a pic of the cell viewed by the underhood cam. Notice the A/F guage is dark.

I'm really glad more people are trying this concept. Just don't tell your wife.

Attachments

• hho V 2.bmp
    96.7 KB · Views: 584

@shortstack
As thin as clingwrap is I question its insulating abilities.

If you search the Youtube user Zerofossil fuel he has one method of assembling his cells using Marine Goop Adhesive that seals the edges sufficently.

also...

Do a search for a "smacks booster" he started insulating his cells with large electrical heat shrink to seal his cells.

I don't have pictures of my cell yet as my wife has been using my camera at work but.... I tested my new cell that I described in my previous post. I ran for a full 8 hours yesterday at 14v with 25a and only got to 135 degrees. Insulating the edges and the outermost faces of your plates is crucial to your heat problem.

Wet

good old teflon tape, no leaks either. you could also use just about any thread sealant well i finnaly got a mixure that wont totally kill my fuse. its 1/4th teaspoon lye per gallon, after running it for 45ish minutes it reaches about 180 degree's which is kinda too high, and with diluting the electrolyte that much the production went down quite i bit, im gonna try putting N plates between the + and - so it will look like this +n-n+n-n+n-n+n- instead of this +n-+n-+n-+n-, nurtal plates are suppose to help with the heat/amp issue so then maybe i can add more solution

So you wouldnt recommend this setup then to people as is bought on ebay? Would using a bigger container make any effect?

well if you have a bigger container it should help keep the amps/heat down. a good configuation is -nnn+nnn- or -nn+nn- (from what i've seen) i was at home depot today and i saw 302 Stainless steel wall plates for $1.59.
da45d461-824d-4acc-93a8-d36848e282a4_400.jpg

if i was to do it again i would probable make my own, i'm gonna go try out the shrink plastic wrap, and see how that does.

well if you have a bigger container it should help keep the amps/heat down. a good configuation is -nnn+nnn- or -nn+nn- (from what i've seen) i was at home depot today and i saw 302 Stainless steel wall plates for $1.59.
da45d461-824d-4acc-93a8-d36848e282a4_400.jpg

if i was to do it again i would probable make my own, i'm gonna go try out the shrink plastic wrap, and see how that does.

excuse my ignorance, but do you mean [negative][neutral][neutral][neutral][posative]....

Do you have a write up or thread on how to make your own and what the different codes mean? So what are you going to do with the plate set up you bought on ebay?

a N (neutral) plate is a plate that is not connected to + or -

A +nnn-nnn+, + would be connected to the + (battery) the neutrals are not connected to anything (just nylon bolt to hold it in place) and the - is connected to a ground

What is the purpose of those plates which are not connected to either terminal? Isn't the point to run current through them all?

Nuetral plates

What is the purpose of those plates which are not connected to either terminal? Isn't the point to run current through them all?

I assume the N plates are used to lower current draw and thus the heat. I don't see how they would enhance any other aspect of the cell. I do not know if they would increase the HHO output versus a +-+-+- configuration. It would seem the more charged plates in the design, the higher the surface area available for electrolysis. The more + or - plates in the cell the more elctrons that flow through the solution. This creates a higher load on the fuses (HHO circuit) and more production of heat.

If you overheat the HHO solution it will boil off and send steam and hot baking powder solution into the vacuum lines.(whoops) I had this problem when the baking soda solution was too strong. The cell and wires can get hot and blow fuses and when the cell boils it leave a white residue in the intake and vacuum lines.

If I am wrong I'm sure someone will gladly let me know. :salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back