Hi all. New guy from FL, bought a 99 Explorer as a hauler. Will have questions. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hi all. New guy from FL, bought a 99 Explorer as a hauler. Will have questions.

Explorer_LOL

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer
It came with an EGR issue but the price/mileage/condition ratio warranted taking a shot, hopefully fixing it.

Anyway, hello!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

d492da970790881a95b869f56ec503d3.jpg

Sorry, thought you were someone else.

Welcome to the forum!

Welcome! What part of FL? Clearwater/Largo area here.

What codes? Motor?

Hello all!
St Augustine.
EGR is currently disconnected but it seems to run fine. Weird. Guy I got it from said he had codes pulled at Autozone, one of the rails was running lean which apparently (per him) may be attributable to the EGR?

Also has what appears to be a valve cover gasket leak.
Not sure what motor. How do I find that out? It's a 6 cylinder, non 4wd. Hoping to start working on it/figuring stuff out this weekend.

Thanks for any help.

OHV I’m almost sure. If you open the hood the plastic cover says SOHC on those.

You’re a lucky one. That’s the super reliable OHV.

Great! Based on my research, that was the one I was hoping to get but I didn't have time to fully educate myself on what to look for before a reasonably priced, local, good looking one with decent mileage (125) popped up and I had to jump.

Known issues so far: Leaking VCG, the EGR issue (currently unplugged) and an oil pressure sensor is going bad.

It does have a minor hard-start issue (have to crank it a few times before it catches) but I'm hoping that may be related to the EGR?

Yeah I’d start with the EGR and go from there.

Please list the current trouble codes. It may help us narrow down the problem.

Back