Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Hi

Discussion in 'Bronco II Registry' started by BroncoIIPower, November 9, 2013.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. BroncoIIPower

BroncoIIPower New Member

City, State:
      Mesa, AZ
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1989 Ford Explorer
      I'm Matt. I'm addicted to Bronco II's. My sister said she wanted a Bronco for her graduation present. She wanted an EB, my father bought her a 1987 Bronco II 5-Speed 4WD. She threw a fit and didn't want to learn to drive a stick, so he ended up buying her a 1994 Explorer and I got the Bronco. Ever since then I've been hooked on these trucks.

I currently own a 1990 2WD Bronco II that has been sitting for the past 5 or 6 years. I bought the truck from a Dutch guy who was in pilot school. He was selling it because school was over and he couldn't take it home. I was told the heads blew, they rebuilt the top half and the bottom half went out. The top half has 4 running hours on it.

I bought a 2.9 out of an 88 Bronco II to put into the 90. I was told the 88 motor had about 90k on it. I got a gasket set to reseal the motor before dropping it in. I tore into the motor to discover the internals looked like they had less miles than what I was told. My father and I decided the mileage was closer to 50k than 90k.

I read about the improved heads on the 89-90 motors so I decided I was going to swap the 90 heads onto the 88 motor. When I pulled the valve covers off we found 2 push rods had fallen out of place on the drivers side. Also the front and rear bolts that hold the rocker arm in place were not torqued down. I had little problem spinning them with my fingers.

My buddy (who owns a Cherokee and is a master tech) and my father told me the engine might still be good. As it stands now I am waiting to do a compression test to see if my Bronco II can come to life with minimal effort.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. BroncoIIPower

BroncoIIPower New Member

City, State:
      Mesa, AZ
      1989 Ford Explorer
      Here are some pictures of the truck:

1990 Bronco II

The engine on the stand is out of the 88 I mentioned earlier.

4. arco777

arco777 Elite Explorer

1994 Explorer 2dr 4x4
      Welcome to the forum!

5. BroncoIIPower

BroncoIIPower New Member

City, State:
      Mesa, AZ
      1989 Ford Explorer
      Thanks. Glad to be here. I love coming to forums like these. The tech sections are what interest me. I also LOVE the build threads. The pictures entertain me. It is amazing to see BII's of all shapes and sizes and what people invision their trucks to be.