High pitched interior noise. Constant | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

High pitched interior noise. Constant

I just emailed my dealer, I'll let you all know what happens! Hopefully they can get the part quickly...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Brought home my Limited on Monday and I can confirm the same incredibly aggravating high pitched electronic noise
Congrats on the new Limited. Time to update your profile.:)

Peter

We brought the car in and told them about this thread and made them read it. They called ford and were able to get a replacement fuse for it and it's music to my ears. No more high pitch noise. It's such a pleasure to drive now!
The issue was a fuse?? Other posts have mentioned it is a problem with the power inverter. Did the work order/invoice show a part number for the replaced item?

Peter

My 2017 Sport is at the dealership right now for the high pitched sound. I know pulling the fuse is just a temporary fix, so I was wondering if anyone has had success getting the inverter replaced (and has a part number for the replacement). How frustrating. Thanks.

I'd also love a part number, my dealership looked at me like I've got six heads

Was this part replaced under warranty or a tsb or was there a charge to have this done?

Regards,

Mark

My dealership is acting stumped even after I have sent them all this info! They've had my Explorer three days Unreal! Can't wait to get my hands on it myself and pull that fuse myself!!

Thank you!
Welcome to the Forum Heather, albeit a bit late.:wave:
I'm not surprised that these new issues haven't been experienced by most dealers. If a few more of these pop up maybe Ford will actually issue a TSB (Technical Services Bulletin) for it.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum Heather, albeit a bit late.:wave:
I'm not surprised that these new issues haven't been experienced by most dealers. If a few more of these pop up maybe Ford will actually issue a TSB (Technical Services Bulletin) for it.

Peter
Thanks for the welcome! So the service manager finally listened to me. Pulled the fuse (which worked) and ordered the new inverter. He said he can't promise it will fix the problem but he'll try and if it doesn't he'll contact the engineers to let them know. I can't believe there aren't more people taking in their Explorers because of this problem!

i am getting the very high pitch sound in cabin as well. both myself and my wife can hear it. Brought it back to the dealership and they are "figuring it out"
Been a week now, no answer at all.

i am getting the very high pitch sound in cabin as well. both myself and my wife can hear it. Brought it back to the dealership and they are "figuring it out"
Been a week now, no answer at all.
Did you tell them what the cause of the noise is? There's nothing to figure out. It has already been discovered.

Peter

Our 2012 Explorer just started doing this as well.

As others have noted, it is present when idling and driving. It does not change pitch at all regardless of engine rpm, acceleration or slowing. It sounds very much like a fan noise. It is present with radio on or off, as well as HVAC on or off.

I am having some difficulties- first off - my Ex is an XLT and does not have the 110V Powerpoint . Second of all - according to my owners manual, the fuse in position 56 is for the Transmission Control Module. The 110V is Position 14 and even though my vehicle doesn't have the 110V, there is a 40A fuse in that position!

If I pull that fuse, the noise does not go away.

Does the Sync system have a fan?

The Sync system does not have a fan to my knowledge. There have been reports that some models had problems with a small fan the is part of the interior cabin temperature sensor system. It is located behind a small grill in the dash and there is a circuit board there as well.

Peter

P1190047a.jpg

Checked that and it's not it. I finally tracked it down. It's coming from the passenger side door speaker, even with the radio off. Some sort of weird interference. Not sure of the source yet.

I just wanted to say thank you to the OP for making this thread. I had the high pitched sound in my 2017 sport, did a quick search here and found this thread. Confirmed it was coming from the glove box. Took it in to the dealership and sent them this thread as reference. They replaced the inverter itself (not the fuse), which resolved the problem. That being said, the replacement part had the exact same part number as the original, so I'm not sure if it was a revised part or not. Either way, at this time the sound is gone.

I just wanted to say thank you to the OP for making this thread. I had the high pitched sound in my 2017 sport, did a quick search here and found this thread. Confirmed it was coming from the glove box. Took it in to the dealership and sent them this thread as reference. They replaced the inverter itself (not the fuse), which resolved the problem. That being said, the replacement part had the exact same part number as the original, so I'm not sure if it was a revised part or not. Either way, at this time the sound is gone.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Glad you were able to find this thread and get your issue solved.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just wanted to add my voice here ...

I bought my 2017 Sport about 6 weeks ago but didn't start hearing this sound until about 2 weeks ago. I thought it was just me, no one else could hear it. So I would turn the radio up and try to ignore it thinking my ears were playing tricks. I started to get really anxious and irritable every time I was in the car and for a while after. I took a recording of it and my husband could hear it from that, so I finally decided I'm not crazy and I took it to the Ford dealer. The first guy (older gentleman) couldn't hear anything so he went and got a younger woman to see if it was "a woman thing" (weird). She said she couldn't hear it so much as feel it in her ear. Then I played the audio in the office and a gentleman behind us heard it right away, so he got in the car and sure enough, he could hear it. I showed them this thread and they printed it off and made an appointment for me for Aug 21 to have their electricians look at it. They wouldn't pull the fuse because they said it runs other things that I need.

I feel like I paid too much money for this vehicle to have to deal with that sound. It is making me crazy. Thanks to this forum I have some proof that I'm not imagining it and ground to stand on, and hopefully they can get it resolved. So I thank everyone who posted in here, and I just wanted to put one more post on here to confirm this issue.

Back