Hitch mount cargo basket / carrier suggestions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hitch mount cargo basket / carrier suggestions

Tier1Terrier

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer
Hi,

I have a 2017 XLT with electric rear door. I don't have a hitch yet but plan to get the dealer one installed which I'm told provides the 'factory look' (I think that means the hitch will come out of the bumper)

Nonetheless, I'm looking for the best recommendations for a flip up cargo basket that when deployed with cargo, will still allow the back door to open without obstruction (if that's even possible).

Also, how realistic is the maximum weight capacity of 50lbs on the factory roof rails? My Thule roof cargo box alone weighs more than that. Am I to believe that this is truly dangerous if I utilize it with maybe an additional 50 lbs of cargo or so?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

there is no "dealer installed" hitch specification
They can either use an after-market hitch that come below the bumper ( at a approximate cost of $250/$300)
Or they can use all factory parts and that will include a new lower bumper, and the hitch is hidden behind the bumper with a removable panel to access the hitch
Make sure that they use the CORRECT wiring harness that will supply both the 4 pins AND the 7 pins connectors on the factory hitch
Cost of the second option should be at least 2 or 3 times the first one

Hi,

I have a 2017 XLT with electric rear door. I don't have a hitch yet but plan to get the dealer one installed which I'm told provides the 'factory look' (I think that means the hitch will come out of the bumper)

Nonetheless, I'm looking for the best recommendations for a flip up cargo basket that when deployed with cargo, will still allow the back door to open without obstruction (if that's even possible).

Also, how realistic is the maximum weight capacity of 50lbs on the factory roof rails? My Thule roof cargo box alone weighs more than that. Am I to believe that this is truly dangerous if I utilize it with maybe an additional 50 lbs of cargo or so?

Thanks!
Check out the links in this post; http://www.explorerforum.com/xenforo/index.php?threads/roof-or-hitch-basket.306407/#post-2648013
The 2nd link shows a basket that looks to swing out of the way in one of the pictures.

Peter

there is no "dealer installed" hitch specification
They can either use an after-market hitch that come below the bumper ( at a approximate cost of $250/$300)
Or they can use all factory parts and that will include a new lower bumper, and the hitch is hidden behind the bumper with a removable panel to access the hitch
Make sure that they use the CORRECT wiring harness that will supply both the 4 pins AND the 7 pins connectors on the factory hitch
Cost of the second option should be at least 2 or 3 times the first one

My dealer (Sawgrass Ford in Sunrise FL) does a factory 'style' hitch where it goes through the bumper and has a removable panel for about $700. I have no idea if they replace the bumper (I doubt it) or do a custom job, but it is what I was quoted. And because it's a Ford dealer, I feel ok with getting it done there.

My dealer (Sawgrass Ford in Sunrise FL) does a factory 'style' hitch where it goes through the bumper and has a removable panel for about $700. I have no idea if they replace the bumper (I doubt it) or do a custom job, but it is what I was quoted. And because it's a Ford dealer, I feel ok with getting it done there.
With Ford installing the hitch it should be covered by the warranty as well.
Please add the required "Trim Level" of the Explorer to your profile so it appears in the margin. That can at times be useful info to have. Thanks.

Peter

I'm thinking of installing one simply as a rear "bush bar", as I recently became a victim of a rear impact by some careless driver in a parking lot (1 license plate bolt indentation) on the hitch cover.

I'm thinking of installing one simply as a rear "bush bar", as I recently became a victim of a rear impact by some careless driver in a parking lot (1 license plate bolt indentation) on the hitch cover.

Instead of a hitch mounted cargo basket, maybe you should consider a hitch mounted bumper guard...

27046b_6.jpg

41UgCRMJA5L._SL256_.jpg

avid-hitch-step.jpg

the rear bumper is made out of 3 pieces. For the factory hitch, the dealer will have to remove and replace the lower panel for one that has a removable cut out to access the hitch
Make sure that they are using the wiring harness that supply BOTH the 4 pins AND 7 pins plugs on the hitch
I bet you that they are only going to use the harness for the 4 pins ONLY if you don't make it very clear to them that you want the 4 and 7

If you're going to be using a hitch mounted basket, I"d recommend one of these hitch stabilizers: https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-St...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=GM46G9WDV127B7F612V3
Think about this: if that same person had been just as careless, they would have hit your cargo rack about a foot sooner and probably a lot more forcefully, potentially destroying it and transferring that energy to the frame of the car instead of the plastic bumper cover. Then instead of a bolt imprint in your hitch cover, you've got a cargo rack imprint on your back hatch

I saw a minivan that had a hitch ball installed for this reason, then they got rear-ended. the ball and receiver bent up and sealed the hatch shut.
Instead of a hitch mounted cargo basket, maybe you should consider a hitch mounted bumper guard...
Definitely better than using a cargo rack.

Back