Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Hitch on 2002+ explorers

Discussion in 'Tow Rig Forum' started by Hitchhikingmike, May 26, 2008.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. thebrakeman

thebrakeman Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Canton, Michigan
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2006 Mercury Mountaineer
      The difference between your modified setup, and my stock setup, is primarily 1st gear. My 6-speed has a much lower (numerically higher) 1st gear ratio to get me started with 5200 lbs behind me. On gen 3 trucks, the tow package's 3.73 axle ratios are intended to do the same thing...help get you going from a stop.

Once up to speed, I have no doubt that you cruise just fine. But the potential problem is overstressing the drivetrain when starting from a standstill. Pulling 5000 with only 3.55 gearing thru the 5-speed is more stress than than the design or development engineers intended.

I would recommend that when you start from a stop, you go easy on the gas, and not try to accelerate with traffic. Just be gentle on the drivetrain as you get yourself moving. High throttle at low rpm is not good for your setup.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. thebrakeman

thebrakeman Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Canton, Michigan
      2006 Mercury Mountaineer
      Keep in mind, with the '02+ vehicles, the size of the receiver has been nice to use as a quick weed-out feature, for those wanting 5000-7000 lbs tow ratings. If you upgrade the hitch to Class III/IV (and nothing else), and later sell the truck, you owe it to the buyer to be upfront with them, disclose the modification, and inform them of the true tow rating.

I would be ticked off the buy a V8 truck, thinking it had 3.73 axles because of the 2" hitch, only to find out later it only has 3.55 axles and doesn't tow the way I expected.

4. lighting_guy

lighting_guy New Member

City, State:
      Gaston SC
      2002 Explorer XLT
      Does anyone know the torque requirements for the bolts when upgrading to the 2" hitch? I have been searching and finding nothing.